cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Netgear DG814

N/A

Help with Netgear DG814

Ever since I got my shiny new Netgear DG814 DSL 4 port switched Router, I've noticed that it has trouble reconnecting after a DSL failure.

In the last couple of days, with all the problems, I've had to crawl under the desk and switch it off and back on again a few times.

Does anyone know of a way round this for this router? I can't see anything in the set-up. My old Conexant box used to reconnect all by itself.
26 REPLIES
phillight
Grafter

Help with Netgear DG814

I've never had a problem with my DG814 reconnecting, although yesterday I had to leave it off for 30mins before username/password were accepted (which sounded like it was BTs fault anyway).

What firmware version are you using? Incidently, is the WAN light on it flashing once a second for no apparent reason?

Phil
N/A

Help with Netgear DG814

What firmware version are you using? Incidently, is the WAN light on it flashing once a second for no apparent reason?

I'm on 4.6, the latest AFAIK.

Yes, the WAN light goes out briefly, about once a second.

The only related option I can find in the set-up is the idle timeout which defaults to 5 minutes. I have it set to 0, which means Disabled.

I had to reset my router again this morning. I assume this is something to do with the problems yesterday and work which may have happened overnight.
N/A

Help with Netgear DG814

I've had my DG814 for nearly a year, and it's been very reliable, and in the main, reconnects ok when the service falls over.

I've got a screwy problem at the moment that Netgear are scratching their heads about, and it relates to the DG814's clock - it doesn't want to synchronise to the specified NTP server embedded in the firmware (v4.6) - also the WAN light keeps on flicking, even when there are no LAN stations accessing the WAN.

Cry
phillight
Grafter

Help with Netgear DG814

The WAN light flickering is probably the router trying to connect to the time server.

Incidently there is a 4.7rc7 around now, which stops the WAN light flashing, but still doesn't set the time. Also UPnP support is missing from this release after being in the earlier 4.7rcs.

I've uploaded 4.7rc7 to http://www.kaysgardens.plus.com/DG814_Firmware_4.7rc7.bin if you want to try it.

Phil
N/A

Help with Netgear DG814

Thanks for that, Phil.

Does that mean the time problem is a known issue?

Nigel
phillight
Grafter

Help with Netgear DG814

Yep, although Netgear seem to be ignoring it! Several ppl on AdslGuide and other sites have reported it to Netgear (myself included), but they haven't responded - it is also affecting several other Netgear routers.

Phil
Saturn
Grafter

Help with Netgear DG814

For what it's worth I've had a DG814 for nearly a year now and haven't had any real problems since moving to 4.4 (now on 4.6). There are some rare occasions when I need to do the 30mins plus thing to reset BT's equipment, but I wouldn't put that down to the DG814. Sounds like another e-mail to Netgear is in order.
mike001
Grafter

Help with Netgear DG814

I've never had a problem with my DG814 reconnecting, although yesterday I had to leave it off for 30mins before username/password were accepted (which sounded like it was BTs fault anyway).

Phil

Hi
At last some one with the same prob....this dam light has been flashing OFF
once every second since the 16th may...and it has allways taken 15-30 minits to get synked in
mike001
Grafter

Help with Netgear DG814

Phil

Hi
At last some one with the same prob....this dam light has been flashing OFF
once every second since the 16th may...and it has allways taken 15-30 minits to get synked in

UPDATE
the upgrade from the 4.6 to 4.7 fixes the light flashing ...but now I cant get to the status page in the routers setup :?
phillight
Grafter

Help with Netgear DG814

Just to add to the lack of UPnP in 4.7rc7, it is actually supported. I hust have been seeing the cached menu from 4.6.

All 4.7 versions seem to suffer from intermittently being unable to access router setup, instead receiving a 'busy' error. I think this only occurs with UPnP enabled so you could try disabling it if you don't need it.

Phil
N/A

Help with Netgear DG814

All 4.7 versions seem to suffer from intermittently being unable to access router setup, instead receiving a 'busy' error.

I used to get the same problem with 4.6. It's nothing new for me. Also, I have the uPnP option unchecked by default.
phillight
Grafter

Help with Netgear DG814

I've never seen that problem in 4.6 (or any previous version for that matter). What hardware version have you got? Mine is v1.01.

Phil
N/A

Help with Netgear DG814

I've never seen that problem in 4.6 (or any previous version for that matter). What hardware version have you got? Mine is v1.01.

Where do I find that from? All I can see is the System and Modem firmware versions.
phillight
Grafter

Help with Netgear DG814

If you open the file saved by 'Backup Settings' in a text editor you will see it near the top of the file.

I'm not sure if any other version of the hardware has been released, but would be interesting to know.