cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with A360 USB Modem

Delves
Grafter

Help with A360 USB Modem

About 30 day ago I replaced my A360 with a NetGear router.... 30 days later my router has failed and I can no longer get my old A360 working.

Only changes since I first installed some 2 years ago is XP SP2.

Modem disconnected, I run the install CD and follow the instructions I found in the PlusNet Help.

After a re boot it says I should have the Wip Tech icon on the desktop, this dosen't happen. When I connect the modem XP pop's the found new hardware window but before I can do this I get a grey window saying 'confuguring device'. I left this over night and nothing had changed.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it working

regards

Dave
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Help with A360 USB Modem

As mentioned near the end of this thread, the A360 drivers don't work on XP SP2 and as the product has been discontinued, no SP2 version of the drivers is likely to exist.
Delves
Grafter

Help with A360 USB Modem

Thanks for that Peter

I thought XP2 may be the problem. If I remove SP2 re-install and then re-apply SP2 do you think it will work?

If not I have another Windows2000 machine in the house, will it work on this?
Community Veteran

Help with A360 USB Modem

Sorry, don't know. The only way to find out is to try I think (for both options).
KJS
Grafter

Help with A360 USB Modem

My A360 works ok with sp2 installed. I did find that I had to make sure everything was un-installed first then performed a clean install of the A360. I use mine as a back up for a netgear when I had dis-connection problems and I have left it on my system just in case the netgear throws a wobbler again.
Delves
Grafter

Help with A360 USB Modem

I'll be keeping mine for that exacpt purpose, I'm kicking myself for removing it now :twisted:

I'll try removing SP2 tonight and see what happens from there.
N/A

Help with A360 USB Modem

I had a similar problem with my father in laws computer. No wiptec icon. However i noticed that in the device manager there was a corrupted -incorrect device . So i said reinstall driver for this file. rebooted, and now the modem works with sp2. (But what a job.) Had to do this several times. It seemed to stop halfway through when you rebooted the computer . Just reinstall the driver then. It will then continue and create the wiptech.
Delves
Grafter

Help with A360 USB Modem

I working again Tongue

Unistalled SP2 and the drivers, icon etc reinstalled ok. Just got to figure out how I had my ICS setup :?

My Xbox is wanting to get on-line
N/A

Help with A360 USB Modem

ICS is awful, and SP2 will not stop the netgear working, its prob just some security feature that you need to setup correctly
N/A

Help with A360 USB Modem

Is the the dynamode usb modem, Mine works with sp1 stll
Delves
Grafter

Help with A360 USB Modem

ICS is awful, and SP2 will not stop the netgear working, its prob just some security feature that you need to setup correctly

To be honest I've not noticed any difference between ICS and the router, all it means is I dont have to have a noisey PC running all the time.....

As for the netgear....the unit is completley dead no lights etc and Extreme... yes its the dynamode. The problem is that the drivers for this modem will not install once you've gone to SP2. If you have it working and then install SP2 all is ok.

When I get a replacement router, I'll just be disabling the usb modem rather than uninstalling this time Cool
N/A

Help with A360 USB Modem

As mentioned near the end of this thread, the A360 drivers don't work on XP SP2 and as the product has been discontinued, no SP2 version of the drivers is likely to exist.

I have the A360 running fine on XPHome SP2. Did not need to re-install or anything like that. Maybe I've been lucky?
Teatime
Grafter

Help with A360 USB Modem

Hi,

I have just got a new PC today with XP/SP2 and seem to have hit this problem installing the A360 USB modem... I initially tried installing the drivers off the CD that I got in Dec 2002 - and just got a hung window showing "Processing is going on" on reboot after connecting the modem. I then uninstalled and used dial-up to download the drivers from Plusnet - still the same error on reboot. I used another PC to dl the latest drivers from dynarod or whatever they are called (still old, dated around 2003 AIR i.e. pre SP2)- still the same hung window after reboot... After 3 long calls to Plusnet, I was finally told that the A360 does not work with XP/SP2 to their knowledge...

Now back on the old PC (Win2k) and I discovered this thread which gives me SOME hope... But, I have still not been able to get the Wiptech icon! I've got it to the stage where the tray icon shows green, so I'm hoping that all I AM missing is the desktop connection icon and that this can be set up manually. I tried this with Plusnet support, but no luck. The only uncertain part, I think, is the "phone number" that needs to be specified for the "dial-up" connection - Plusnet said use P038, but that did not work - and the connection window showed a box for "Domain" which we found puzzling... Can anyone help over setting up the connection icon manually? When I connect from this old PC, the "phone number" that (briefly) appears is something like "p,038,,," Failing that, could anyone explain in a bit more detail about how to do it by brute force? After a couple of reboots, I did find an unknown device in Device Manager, but wasn't sure how to proceed from there - where should I point it to get the correct drivers?

Any help will be appreciated Smiley

Ivor
N/A

Help with A360 USB Modem

I had the nsame problem on inlaws computer as detailed above. When it hangs. Goto the device manager right click you will see a yellow mark against one of the modem icons(in device manger) again right click and say update drivers and point it to the modem cd driver disk. It will update the driver again. You should find that where it has hung it will now continue on its way. Don't close the box that has hung just update the drivers as above. This is how i got the father in laws computer working with this modem and sp2.
Teatime
Grafter

Help with A360 USB Modem

Thanks, David.

I'll have to follow your suggestion tomorrow as I've had enough of it for tonight :-) Just on memory, though, at what stage did you get the "yellow mark"? ISTR that I didn't get any complaints about a dodgy device when the "Processing is going on" box appeared... I rebooted after that and then the Windows "Add h/w" "wizard" appeared, and I got that to set up the A360, which gave me the green systray icon eventually. When I looked in Device Manager, the dodgy device was not a modem (I think) - just in a separate category, and I tried to point that to the CD and various subdirectories on it, but it didn't accept any of them... Which version of the drivers were you using? I know I can go out and buy a router now that will work fine, but I WOULD prefer to get this working if possible :-)

Ivor