cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up my network please.

N/A

Hi

My exchange goes live next week and I'd appreciate a wee bit of advice on how to set up my system. At the moment, I have my 2 PCs linked together on a home network, using the hub in my new 3com wireless ASDL modem / router to connect them (obviously not using the ADSL part of it yet). I have Internet Connection Sharing switched on on both PCs, so I can surf the web from either.
Although I'm getting the free USB modem with my startup package, I'd rather not use it, as that would mean I'd need to have my main PC turned on to surf on the second one. Is it relatively simple for me to get things set up this way? I assume I'll need to turn on the ADSL bit of the router, turn off ICS and tell both PCs to connect using LAN instead of dial up. Also, is setting up the static IP address easy? Any guides I've seen on the help in here suggest leaving the IP address bit left to 'automatically assigned', but I think that might need to be different when using a router.
I'm using ZoneAlarm pro, which hopefully won't cause me any problems.

Apologies if I've kind of answered my own questions here, but I'm keen to try and anticipate as many snags as possible up front, so that I can get up and running asap.

Thanks guys.
14 REPLIES
N/A

No-one has answered so here's my thruppemce worth.

As you have an ADSL modem / router, leave the USB one in its box, or sell it on ebay Smiley

You're pretty much right in your working - set up the router to connect to the ADSL feed, disable ICS and set all PCs to connect via a LAN. It's that easy, once the router establishes contact with the ISP.

IPs - I'd set the router to be a DHCP server and have the PCs pick up their IP automatically - it's much easier, and means you can easily add other PCs, swap them about, whatever. Haven't used Zone Alarm, but my Sygate FW works quite happily with a rule to allow all traffic in the range 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.15 (the router's DHCP range).

Don't forget to enable the router's firewall, and look into port-forwarding to non-existent IPs too if you want to be quite secure.

Next step - wireless. You won't look back if you go down this path.

:idea:
N/A

N/A

on another note, wireless sucks
N/A

on another note, wireless sucks

Cheesy

Mine doesn't. Each to their own.
N/A

Perhaps what buzz is trying to get across is the lack of security, no matter what the end user thinks, with wireless networks.

Encryption protocols which people in general consider effective are anything but.
N/A

indeed Wink, yet, my response was shorter Wink

oh and they are also a lot slower
N/A

yet, my response was shorter Wink

As always. Smiley
chymorva
Grafter

N/A

chy you are clearly just being a post whore Shockedops:

anyhow i think this topic is sufficiently deraild (by me w00)

buz
N/A

Thanks for the replies chaps. Just need to wait for BT to switch on the exchange on the 22nd and see how long it takes for PlusNet to activate me. Can I speed things up a bit by plugging everything in on the 22nd and every days after that and seeing if the ADSL lights come on?
N/A

well doing that way, you will know when you are linked, however it will not really be faster, as the email will be asent at the same time
N/A

Excuse my ignorance, but what e-mail, buzzons?
chymorva
Grafter

chy you are clearly just being a post whore Shockedops:

anyhow i think this topic is sufficiently deraild (by me w00)

buz

1. Sorry Shockedops: I didn't mean to offend, It was late at night and seemed amusing at the time :?

2. Sorry to have wandered off topic (grovel, grovel Shockedops: Shockedops: )
N/A

im post whoring in this topic as well , hence the Shockedops: Cheesy

there is an email sent when you have been activated