cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up SAR130

N/A

Help setting up SAR130

We currently have a small office network comprising a single Windows 2000 server and 10 workstations (192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.192). The server runs DHCP, DNS & NAT and is a primary domain controller (PDC).

I think I am clear about most of the set up for the ADSL router but have the following questions:

1. Should I let the SAR130 handle DHCP and disable the service on the PDC, or make the SAR130 a DHCP client with a fixed IP?

2. If the SAR130 is to handle DHCP, can I set reservations so that hardware like printers etc. maintain the same IP address?

3. What happens with DNS for the local network. Our PDC deals with this at present (it runs DNS in file-based mode - not AD integrated) with Forwarding set up to Plusnet DNS servers.

Any suggestions gratefully received! BT engineer is coming today so I am hoping I might get a quick response!! Cheesy
2 REPLIES
N/A

Help setting up SAR130

I'm not familiar with the SAR130, but my own feeling about the DHCP facilities on most ADSL routers is that they are fairly elementary -- the routers are primarily intended for domestic users, after all, and the real intent is to make installation and set up easy for people with little or no networking knowledge. They'll give a basic service which will serve perfectly well for home use, but they're not "industrial strength" solutions.

You'll probably find the DHCP and DNS facilites you already have are more flexible, and offer you more options, than those on the router. For example, in addition to providing basic IP settings, you may also provide addresses for NetBIOS Name Servers ("WINS" as MS likes to call them). You probably won't get this on an ADSL router. Additionally, you're already running on your existing system, and are familiar with using it. Why introduce change just for the sake of it?

I'd apply the same thinking to DNS -- if your current system is working fine and is meeting your requirements, leave it as it is.
N/A

Help setting up SAR130

ok - thanks for the input.

Keith