cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, router speed problems?

N/A

Help, router speed problems?

For about a day iv been experiancing awful download speeds at night mainly. I just put it down to plusnet until today.
Im running a two computer network through a router. Theres my computer and my friends computer. Today i ran the speed test at adslguide.org.uk on both computers...big shock he gets
something like
450/250
and i get
20/250
What the hell is going onHuh His computers turned off at the moment and iv tried reinstalling my ethernet card drivers. I tried that dr tcp but i think its making things worse. Another problem i have is that i cannot connect to the router direct. To connect to the router i have to go through a hub. If i connect directly to the router i get no network connection at all.
Someone please help
Seb
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Help, router speed problems?

> For about a day iv been experiancing awful download speeds at night mainly. I just put it down to plusnet until today.
> Im running a two computer network through a router. Theres my computer and my friends computer. Today i ran the speed test at adslguide.org.uk on both computers...big shock he gets
> something like
> 450/250
> and i get
> 20/250
> What the hell is going onHuh His computers turned off at the moment and iv tried reinstalling my ethernet card drivers. I tried that dr tcp but i think its making things worse. Another problem i have is that i cannot connect to the router direct. To connect to the router i have to go through a hub. If i connect directly to the router i get no network connection at all.
> Someone please help
> Seb

Actualy the Answer is in your own Tests, If the two computers are giving different tests, then it is down to MTU setting most likely. what are your exisitng Mtu settings? Go to the website and find out http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Check both computers and see what your MTU value is and your TCP/IP receive window. And Make the necessary change. make sure you chage this on the Router interface and not the network card.

As for you not being able to connect to the router direct, but opnly via a hub, I suspect the fault there lies in the type of cable you use. I think in your case if you are goin to connect directly to your router from you netwrok card, you will need a Cross over cable. This depends on your router. Check you maunals to see how the port in the router is configured.

N/A

hey,
cheers for that ill give it a try. oh my speeds are at full now. 58k/s downloads this is just weird but theyll be slow again by the evening.
N/A

> hey,
> cheers for that ill give it a try. oh my speeds are at full now. 58k/s downloads this is just weird but theyll be slow again by the evening.

I don't know if this has any reasoning. Do you live in a area where lots of people are on ADSL? If so could that be a case of peak time usuage and handeling capacity of your local Exchange?

I don't realy know, Just a thought.....anyone else care to enlighten us on Exchange capacites and so on?

N/A

No the number of people on the exchange wouldnt explain it.
The situation is we have a 4-port router with built in switch and modem. MY friend connects to the rought via straight cable, if i connect via a straight cable i get no connection unless i plug my straight cable into the hub and the hook the hub up to the router via a cross over cable. What happens if i generally get great download speeds in the morning and at night i get slow download speeds eg:
20kbits!! downstream
i usually get full upstream all day.
My friend gets fulls speeds all day and appears not to have any problems.
Any ideas how to get my connected to the router?
i dont know if that will even solve the speed problems iv been to the tweak sites and it told me my settings are good...well there was smilies everywhere.
Seb
N/A

> MY friend connects to the rought via straight cable, if i connect via a straight cable i get no connection unless i plug my straight cable into the hub and the hook the hub up to the router via a cross over cable

When you say your friend connects to the router directly, do you know what type of cable he is using? I have a router and I am connected directly to it. THe router came with a cable, and I belive this cable is a cross over cable. I am at work at the moment, I double check and see what the cable I use is.

As a matter of interest what is your router model? Does the hub have a MDI/MDIX port?

You are right in the fact that the way you connect realy won't change you speeds the way you indicated.