cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please!

N/A

Help please!

Hi,

I have just bought a new Ibook, it is my first ever mac computer so i am still getting to grips with it. I am having problems getting it connected to the internet using my Usb modem. Anyone have a clue what i am meant to do??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this even if you can't help.

All the best
Cheers
Julie
5 REPLIES
N/A

Help please!

Hi Julie
I don't have a MAC myself but I would guess you have to do the same as a PC....
1. Make sure the computer recognises the USB modem correctly and has the right drivers to make it work.
2. Make sure that your web browser understands that it has to use the modem to make the connection
3. Make sure that you have entered the correct user id and password in the right place.
Hopefully a friendly mac user will read this and provide more specific guidance!
Dave Lawrence
N/A

Help please!

Hi dave,

I think i have done all of those things, it still keeps saying modem error. If it was a Pc i would have had a better idea but still trying to figure out the mac let alone find the cause of problems.
Thanks again.
I am sure i will get it fixed eventually, it is just frustrating when something doesn't work and u don't have a clue why.

J
Community Veteran

Help please!

What modem are you using and does it have Mac drivers for it? Many don't or not for the latest Mac versions.

Does the iBook run OSX or something else (not familiar with iBooks). If so then it is running Unix and USB modem support in UNIX is very limited. If you don't have Mac driver for your modem then it is unlikely to work.

Your only option then is to buy a router and connect it via the Ethernet port. Which in the long run is far better anyway and it means it can be used on almost any other PC/Mac/Xbox etc. The 4 port versions can also allow multiple computers to share the ADSL connection.
N/A

Help please!

Its the Voyage 109 modem and it does have mac drivers. Probably not up to date ones thou.

Yep the ibok runs on osx

Router? what are they and where would i get one?

Thanks for the help
Community Veteran

Help please!

I think you mean the voyager 105. This is supposed to be supported on Macs and OSX but it's possible the drivers only work on earlier OSX versions.

Have you tried the Mac install instructions for that modem here? It may have a later driver. Or the driver on the BT website here.

A router usually contains an ADSL modem and allows multiple computers to connect to it via EThernet (or wireless) and share the same ADSL line and also allow transfer of data between the computers. They connect to your computer via an Ethernet cable - your ibook should already have a network or Ethernet port.

There are loads of different models around but I would recommend the netgear DG834. Just seach on google for info / proces. Should be around £50->£60