Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please re MTU

Julie
Grafter

Help please re MTU

Hi,
Could someone help me please re these mtu settings, I have read the plusnet page re changing these settings, and although I have quite a bit of computer knowledge, I am not very confident with messing about with my registry. I have run the tweak utility from the page they suggested, and I have been to download the Drtcp utility, but I am not sure which one to get. I run windows 2K.

Is there anyone here that runs Win2k that has done this MTU change and can tell me if it has made a difference to their speeds and web browsing etc, many thanks

Julie

4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Help please re MTU

Hi Julie

I've tweaked my w2k laptop no problem. I used Dr Tcp 201 (DRTCP201.EXE). Just run it. I get a drop down list of adapters because this laptop has several. You might get just one so choose it. If you get many then right click "my network places" and select properties. You should be able to figure our which is the relevant adapter easily enough. Now back in dr tcp we have the right adapter selected. In the bottom left of dr tcp is a text box labelled MTU. Put 1458 in here. Then press save. Now back to "my network places". Disable then enable the adapter. (You do this with right click on the adapter the pop up menu is obvious.) Voila! You have your MTU.

I found it didnt make any differernce for downstream wihch was good. But it made an ebnormous difference for upstream.

Good luck!

Lyndon

N/A

> Is there anyone here that runs Win2k that has done this MTU change and can tell me if it has made a difference to their speeds and web browsing etc, many thanks
>
> Julie
>

Yes I've done it with w2k no problems. Make sure you also check the RWIN (TCP receive window) value, this should really be calculated (and it should be a multiple of the MSS) but typically a value of 14180 works okay for most. This does makes a difference to the download speed if its not set correctly. I found that increasing the RWIN to 17016 did make the speed faster during off peak but very poor speeds during peak.

After you've done the changes, reboot and re-visit
www.dslreports.com/tweaks and check that the new settings have taken.

Julie
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies, I will try this later and let you know how it goes, many thanks again, appreciated Smiley

Cheers
Julie

N/A

Hey Julie

No problem. How did it go?

Kind regards
Lyndon