cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please on home network setup through ADSL

N/A

Help please on home network setup through ADSL

I'm trying to setup a small network at home, basically to let two laptops use my ADSL connection.

Both machines are running Windows 2000. My ADSL hardware is a DSL-504 modem/router and a Netgear wireless access point; both laptops are working and internetting (i.e. browsing etc) just fine.

I'd like to be able to plug a single printer into one of the laptops and use it from the other, with the additional ability to store files from laptop A onto laptop B and vice-versa.

Maybe it's my brain capacity, maybe it's cos it's 7am, but I can't figure this out. I did try setting explicit IP addresses for each machine using Settings, Network, Properties - the laptops were then aware of each other in "My Network Places" but neither would then access web pages.

I'm confused by NAT, No NAT and where, if indeed this is even possible, I ought to be looking at changing settings.

Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Thanks

JR
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: Help please on home network setup through ADSL

I'll try to help....

The first thing to check is what all devices are on the same subnet. From memory the 504's default LAN-side address is 192.168.0.1, so either configure the router to provide IP addresses via DHCP in the range 192.168.0.2-254 or set static addresses from the same range in the laptops.
Next you need to set the router's IP as the default gateway for the client machines (the route all non-LAN tcp/ip traffic will take. IIRC this is done in the "Internet Protocol (tcp/ip) Properties" notebook on Win2k.
You also need to enter IP addresses for DNS, either PlusNet's (212.150.11.159, 212.150.13.159) or the router's IP if it is providing DHCP services.

Having done all that and rebooted the clients, you *should* be able to reach external addresses....

As for NAT, it basically allows computers with private IP addresses (such as 192.168.0.x) to communicate with external systems by using a single public IP. The router "translates" the client's IP address to its own external IP (provided by the ISP), forwards the data to the destination and on receiving a reply does the reverse. It's very neat, very clever and also provides pretty good security for your LAN, as the client machines aren't exposed to the big bad world.

I hope this helps some. I'm no expert but I've done the work on my own LAN.

--
Slàinte!
Al

[ADSL Home self-install + Asus 6000EV]