cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me test Maxadsl

N/A

Help me test Maxadsl

I have been messing with the Maxadsl and come across some strange things and want others to try it and see if they get the same results.

I was connecting @4448 and my SNR Margin was 5.1. I then unpluged my digital phone and put a bog standard phone in(ie not pluged into the main) and my SNR went up to 8.8.

So its clear that the phone is giving 2-3 db noise. If unplug the phone while I am connected at 4448 the snr goes up to over 12 but if I try and connect with the phone unplugged it connects at 6662 but cant hold the line.

As a last resort I pluged the phone back in but put a filter into the filter( ie 2 filters)

Thats given me a connection of 5586 with a SNR of 8.5 so I gained a full meg and uts more stable than before ie a higher SNR Margin.

Can others test to see if unpluging all phones makes a differance to the SNR/connection speed I am interested if phones that have a mains supply make a bigger differance than ones that dont plug in.

Does it make a differance if you connect with no phones in.

All this may help others to get more speed
18 REPLIES
chymorva
Grafter

Help me test Maxadsl

Hi,

I only have 1 cordless mains powered phone and my ADSL connection. Unplugging the phone makes no change to my SNR.
(For info my sync rate is 8128, my SNR is 10-15 and my attenuation is 9.9)
Community Veteran

Help me test Maxadsl

Couple of points here...

1) Try not to disconnect too many times in a short tmeframe as the exchange could consider the disconnects and different sync speeds as a bad line and up your min SNR and thus reduce your sync speeds. MaxDSL is very flakey at the best of times and forcing reconnects can confuse and it often stays that way in future.

2) What you are seeing can be explained by not using good quality ADSL microfilters. The chepo ones that come with most equipment can be affeced by different types of equipment.

3) try removing your ring wire at both ends (at master socket, in any connection boxes and at the final socket where your ADSL equipment is plugged in. This can often incraese your SNR. The ring wire is normally connected to 3 & 4 and coloured orange. See here.
N/A

Help me test Maxadsl

A couple of points the router is in the master socket with no filter and the phone is in an extention. If I cut the ring wire it wont connect it trys at 6 meg but fails. I have 2 extentions cutting the ring on one work ok but not if I cut the 2.

The phone seems to make all the differance and I was trying to work out if its mains noise that gives the problem
Alecto
Grafter

Help me test Maxadsl

Just tried it with a DECT phone.
Was syncing at 5884, Atten 50, SNR 6.
I unplugged the phone and the line dropped, resyncing at 6048 with SNR and atten unchanged.
Plugged phone in again.
Line dropped and resynched at 6048, same SNR and attenuation.

So in essence it made no difference here.
N/A

Help me test Maxadsl

I did read somewhere that plusnet do not recommend using dect phones.
Community Veteran

Help me test Maxadsl

I very much doubt PN would say anything like that, other customers maybe, but not PN.

DECT phones along with others things like caller ID are known to have compatibility problems with ADSL but only if you are using bad quality ADSL microfilters. There are several filters on the market that allow them to work fine and are recommended if you do use DECT/Caller ID.
N/A

Help me test Maxadsl

I believe you're right Peter, it may have been a general adsl guide as I can't find any reference on plusnet now.

Dave
N/A

Help me test Maxadsl

The question is why when no phone is connected it connects at 6500 but cant hold the line if you leave it long enough will it come down to a speed that it can hold. i have left it for a hour or so but it never hold its connection for more than a min.

My speed are worse now than when I was on 2 meg. I connect at 4448 but only get 1.98 meg on th eportal speed test
Community Veteran

Help me test Maxadsl

Welcome to MaxDSL the all singing all dancing all changing ADSL connection.

What you are experiencing is not uncommon with Max but try not to play and resync too many times as it confuses the hell out of the eaxchange and you could end up as i did with very low sync speeds with no way to get it any higher.

Max is a very fragile system and not all the bugs have been ironed out yet at BT's end. All I can suggest is leave it be until your 10 days (actually 12 in reality) period has completed then see what speeds you end up with. If you still have sync problems or low thoughput rates you then go through the PN fault process under help & support (like a lot of others before you have) and hope you get a sensible CS agent that will report the fault to BT rather than play ticket tennis as they did wth me for over 3 weeks. I never did get my problem sorted out and during this time my upgrade to LLU was placed meaning PN could no longer report a fault on my line.
N/A

Help me test Maxadsl

My final days was up on the 9th so I am well past that. Plusnet said its BT not updating the speeds to them. I have put another question in but the last one sat there for 8 days with no reply
sinewave
Grafter

Help me test Maxadsl

A couple of points the router is in the master socket with no filter and the phone is in an extention. If I cut the ring wire it wont connect it trys at 6 meg but fails. I have 2 extentions cutting the ring on one work ok but not if I cut the 2.

The phone seems to make all the differance and I was trying to work out if its mains noise that gives the problem

ADSL equipment does not have a connection to the ring wire. The ring wire has only one purpose and thats to make your phone ring. Most phones do not use the ring wire anymore though. Its old technology rarely used today. The ring wire ~does~ however add noise to your line in general. more noise on your line can mess up ADSL (whatever form). The ring wire can act as an aerial for interference, and perhaps more importantly (and technically) it can upset the balance of your line which means more noise (your phone line is a "balanced" line). Its more of a concern now we have DSLmax as the performance of this is directly dependent on line quality, as we know.

If disconnecting the ring wire results in loss of ADSL then you must be disconnecting the wrong wire, or you have an incorrectly wired extension - check everything! If it stops a phone from ringing then I strongly suspect you have an old phone - replacing this with even a cheap modern one may well improve your adsl.

As for the mention of DECT phones: these can use radio frequencies that are similar to adsl and I have read that some folk have had their adsl affected due to this. I have not experienced this at all (my line or many of my colleagues/friends). I go as far as to say that using the normal telephone extension cable (as you'd buy from B&Q etc) can cause more problems with interference on adsl than using a cordless DECT system.

The best set-up IMO is to use a filtered faceplate like this one:
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

And
use wireless DECT phones in place of your extensions. If you must use extension cable, buy standard CAT5e cable - the same stuff you use for ethernet. It uses a "twisted pair" design which is vastly superior to the non-twisted variety normally used for extensions. The line to your house is twisted pair for eg.

There is no harm in using two filters like you've tried btw. You're more likely to notice your voice line quality go down if anything. I agree that this improvement you've noticed with two filters, suggests bad filters to me - so its back to the filtered faceplate idea.

A super guide to all this stuff is here:
http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

regards
Community Veteran

Help me test Maxadsl

so its back to the filtered faceplate idea.

as a matter of interest, as i have an archaic oldstyle master socket (single socket, not split) -- can i just swap it out for an adslnation one or similar (obviously without letting that nice mr telecom know)?
sinewave
Grafter

Help me test Maxadsl

as a matter of interest, as i have an archaic oldstyle master socket (single socket, not split) -- can i just swap it out for an adslnation one or similar (obviously without letting that nice mr telecom know)?

If you have the standard NTE5 master socket all you do is replace the front plate - the thing that comes off when you unscrew the screws. Removing this front plastic plate should reveal the so-called "test socket". More info and useful pictures here...
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

That link I gave in the previous post is for just the faceplate - not the whole box. no need to involve BT at all with this, its perfectly legal as you are not "fiddling" with the BT side of things at all.
Community Veteran

Help me test Maxadsl

its not even an nte5 but a LJU2/1A apparently, so I'll email clarity about what i can do rather than hijack this thread.