cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me before my head explodes ( Networking query)-long

N/A

To the smart people out there I need your help.

The task in hand I thought was not too hard . I bought a new Mesh PC, all singing and dancing , dvd writer etc.Operating system is Windows XP.
Next step was to find an ISP , so a friend recommended plusnet so I applied and ordered the easystart package, was sent out a Binetone 500 ADSl modem ,with an USB connection , and in no time at all, I was on the net at great speeds.
Heres where the fun began.
My wife owns a Dell with Windows 2000 pro installed on it. She was happy to start with that I wasn't tieing up the phone line while surfing but then she asked could I not get her PC connected to the net the same time as I was.
Simple I thought. So I installed two 10/100 network cards in both machines and with a bit of tweaking have them both using the broadband connection.
But no, the cable running between the two bedrooms is now a health and safety issue.
So I decided all I needed was to go out and buy a wireless router and a couple of gismos that would plug into the network cards to make them wireless.
This is the bit that is blowing my mind.
Seeming because I have a USB modem I cant use my current setup to install a router. When I contacted Plusnet about my query , they said that every other broadband package apart from mine is given a choice of modems/routers,just my luck.
I have one of those phone filters in my first room and I need to know what to buy and how to set up the rest of my network so that both pc's can access the net using a wireless solution.
Through work I have aquirred a Speedtouch 530 Multi-user ADSL gateway, Is this any use to me.

I have bought the mags, read many different forums and guides but my brain is now fried.
Any chance someone can give me some advise in plan simple english.
6 REPLIES
N/A

basically what you need is a eternet modem/router connected to either a wireless router or a ethernet router with built in hub to network your computers. If you only have a usb adsl modem you would have to use internet connection sharing via one of your computers. Best buy a ethernet modem and hub or ethernet modem and wireless hub. Belkin have just brought out a combined adsl modem with wireless(+four port hub).
N/A

<snip> Belkin have just brought out a combined adsl modem with wireless(+four port hub).

Cheesy couldn't help a little giggle there - at the moment I'm trying to get mine working although ethernet works faultlessly wireless side is driving me crazy...
N/A

Don't know about being smart but I'll have a go.
It's not clear from your post what you've already bought,
but you can connect in a similar method with 2
wireless PCI cards (or USB) for your 2 pc's.
These simply put, are a replacement for the cable between
2 pc's. You would still use your existing USB modem to connect
to the internet but the downside is your main pc has to be on
for the upstairs pc to get access like your current set up.
Using a router means that each pc can have access to the Net
independently as the router is always on. So you can connect
your downstairs pc to your speedtouch router with the ethernet,
install a wireless PCI card to your wife's pc upstairs and this leaves
the wireless bit for downstairs which is called a wireless access point
(WAP) which you would connect direct to the router via ethernet.
Obviously you can connect downstairs wirelessly aswell to the WAP
Using a router means there are NAT firewall rules to negotiate
and setting up port forwarding rules for certain functions such as certain
online games, internet relay chat, etc. but it's the best way to network.
There are all in one units available such as Netgear DG834G and
other models from Draytek,etc. discussed in other links
but as you already have a router, then you only need the WAP.
Since the wife's pc is upstairs I would go for wireless 'g' products
and make sure the WAP and PCI card are from the same manufacturer
and are known to work with the speedtouch without any issues.
Alec
N/A

Throbing veins

Thanks for the replys guys so far, keep them coming.
If I didnt have the blinkers on , I would have noticed from the threads around me, that other folks are also experiencing similiar problems changing from usb to ehternet and using the new belkin wireless modem/router.
I will keep reading with keen interest
N/A

re internet connection sharing

Hello Martin

I recently found a web site which gives a very clear explanation of broadband connection sharing.

The address is http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband/connection_sharing.php
it doesnt go into the wireless bit but will help you to get your head around the basics

Chris

PS: I have read that one drawback of using wireless network connections between PCs can be interference from any cordless phones in the same vicinity
Community Veteran

Re: re internet connection sharing

PS: I have read that one drawback of using wireless network connections between PCs can be interference from any cordless phones in the same vicinity

That is true with analogue cordless phones, less so with digital.

Thomas