cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help a newbie!!

N/A

Help a newbie!!

Guys

(Just posted this on another thread then realised it's probably better off as a new thread - sorry) Shockedops:

Pretty new to all this stuff. Can somebody more 'up to speed' explain a few things:

- How do I get my line stats (SNR/Attenuation) from my router? I found out how to do it on my old AOL modem from www.kitz.co.uk but that site doesn't mention my new router (Voyager 210). Any ideas guys?

My line seems OK (about 500k - which is fine for me generally) but the speed test says 'this is less than we would expect for your product, you may be able to increase by adjusting your settings'....

Doesn't elaborate on What settings, what they should be set to or how to do so....! Am I the only one who sometimes feels that all this IT stuff is a different language and assumes a certain knowledge; sometimes you know what's meant but sometimes not. Guess that's what these forums are for!

Any ideas guys?? Thanks!!
11 REPLIES
craig_p
Grafter

Help a newbie!!

hi.
not sure about this router but if you open internet explorer and in the top box where the web site address would go, clear that and type in 192.168.0.1 and hit enter. this should bring you to the screen which has all the details for your router you need.

if you are on max dsl, then you need to switch off you router each night for a few hours which will allow the bt exchsnge you are on to re set your max stable rate and after about 4 days your sync rate shoul go up.

Hope this helps :lol:
craig_p
Grafter

Help a newbie!!

hi

follow this link to plusnet help pages
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/voyager210.shtml

the address should be 192.168.1.1

hope this helps
N/A

Help a newbie!!

tpf

I'd tried that before but thanks for trying to help anyway!
Finally found what I wanted by looking on kitz under V205 Modems.. (though my lin espeed seems to be 250k this evening do not sure what's going on here really....!!

A
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Help a newbie!!

Post your line stats and someone may be able to help
N/A

Help a newbie!!

Line stats as follows:

.............Down.......Up
Line rate ...992........448
Noise Margin..9.5.......16.0
Attentuation...63.0......31.5

BT Speedtest shows my setting as 250k (which is confimred by several speed tests). I'v been 200-250k for 3 days now, but my line rate has always been 900+.

Two main questions:

1 - I understand that margin will change as speed changes, but does the margin above relate to my synch speed of 992k or my profile speed of 250k?

2 - Why is my profile only 250k, Shouldn't it be 500k, and with the stas shown above do I have any chance of 1Mb??

Thanks guys!

A
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Help a newbie!!

Noise margin relates to your Sync Speed and you're right it will drop as speed increases. If you haven't read it there is a good explanation of how DSLMAx works here :- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm.
Your stats of 63db attenuation would suggest you are a long way from the exchange and will struggle to get a high sync speed. You are probably syncing at between 500k and 1000k depending on varying SNR values.
You are correct that at 900k your IP profile should be 500k but I suspect that sometime in the last 3 days your sync dropped below 576k and your IP profile dropped to 250k. It will take 3 days of constant sync at 900k for your IP profile to come back to 500k.
I'm slightly surprised at your Noise margin being 9.5db, the target is normally set at 6db and so I would have expected a higher sync speed and a Noise margin closer to 6db. Maybe the BRAS has decided your line is not stable enough and increased the Target Noise margin to 9db.
To increase your sync speed you need to improve your SNR, take a look here at possible ways:- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm. Particularly try the connection to the test socket as that will isolate any extension wiring. If that doesnt show improvement then one option indicated is to get a router thats better at handling low SNR lines and I've seen that give very good results. My experience of the Voyager 210 is very limited but what I can say is that my 2700HGV router syncs at 8128k with a Noise margin of 8db whereas my next door neighbour, with a Voyager 210, syncs at 4000k at 6db!!
I wouldn't suggest going out and buying a new router but if there is any possibility of borrowing one from someone to see if there is any improvement, then its worth a try. I believe that the Netgear DG834 and Speedtouch 585 are good at handling low SNR conditions. Also both the BT badged 2wire routers, the 1800HG and 2700HG are very good, although they are not for the faint hearted as they are often 'locked' to BT and have to be 'tweaked' to allow connection to other ISP's.
The other option of course is to move closer to the exchange but thats a bit drastic just to increase your internet speed!!
Liam
Grafter

Help a newbie!!

Some good advice from warrilow, and he's pretty much hit it on the head.

Trying the tips he gave for SNR improvement may help you squeeze a bit more out of the line. You may also find an improvement by using an ADSL faceplate on the master socket, instead of a standard microfilter. You can look at those here.

It's possible that, if your SNR margin is slightly iratic, then BT's line managament systems may increase the target SNR for your line to sync at.

Or, another way of explaining the sync being 9.5dB is that, the line may not necessarily resync with an incrase in SNR like that.

Is it only recently that you've noticed the decrease in speed? What speed service did you have prior to Max? 512k or 1Mb?
N/A

Help a newbie!!

Warrilow

Like your 'move house' suggestion - I'll suggest it to the Mrs!! :lol:

I had 512k before Max, hence not expecting much if any more than that.

Still not clear though guys if my SnR Margin figure is relating to my Synch Speed (900) or my IP Profile (250)...? Put another way, if my profile does go back up to 500 but still synching at 900 woudl I expect my margin to go down beacuse of that. Or not?

Also - I've now started talking to my neighbours about their connection (much as you do). Does anyone know the easiest way to tell whether they are on fixed speed or ADSL Max. Which stats would tell me that?

Many thanks again

Ant (still learning!)
Liam
Grafter

Help a newbie!!

Okay, to explain a little bit.

The 'SNR' margin is an indicator of the noise on your line. The higher the SNR - the better, strictly speaking, though MaxDSL will allow a minimum SNR of 5dB. As your sync speed increases, so your SNR comes down.

The longer the telephone line you have, the more noisier the line is, in general. This means that you end up with a lower SNR, and therefore your line can only sync at a fairly low speed (remember, the higher the sync speed, the lower the SNR - if your SNR is already low, the sync speed can't get as high).

The SNR is not really related to the IP Profile speed, but the sync speed is. The SNR helps determine the sync speed (as explained above), and the sync speed helps detemine the bRAS or IP Profile.

So, if you get a fluctuation of SNR, which results in a resync at a different speed, BT will change the speed profile for you within their DLM (Dynamic Line Management) systems. Unfortunately, decreases in profile are generally much more quickly applied by BT, whereas sync speed increases often take a few days to provoke the profile increase.

So, from that we must conclude that, at some point, your speed has reduced from the 900k and, as such, BT dropped your IP Profile. If it does it regularly, then you'll find that the profile hesitates to increase.

... and remember, going back to SNR vs. Sync Speed. It's extra noise on the line (SNR decrease) that means the sync speed drops down. So, doing everything you can to reduce or minimise the noise on your line, is a good idea.

Does that help to explain things a bit better? I know, it's a little bit confusing - even to me!
N/A

Help a newbie!!

Liam

Excellent explanation - thanks. You've no idea how refreshing it is to be with an ISP who have tech staff that know what they are on about (as opposed to reading from a script).

My IP Profile has just gone back up to 500k this morning! so I'll probably stick with that and see if it stays put.

Just one last question - the fixed vs MaxDSL issue. How can my neighbour tell if he's on 500k fixed or MaxDSL?

A
Liam
Grafter

Help a newbie!!

Just one last question - the fixed vs MaxDSL issue. How can my neighbour tell if he's on 500k fixed or MaxDSL?

Ah yes, I knew there was something I missed!

You will be able to confirm he is on Max, generally by the Upload speed. You'll see that yours is 448, because Max allows for that higher upload.

If he is on fixed-speed 512k his sync speeds will be 576 down / 288 up. Or if he's on fixed-speed 1Mb his sync speeds will be 1152 down / 288 up.

Hope that helps!

Glad to hear that your profile has increased again.