cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help:Which package?

N/A

Hi All

With our exchange being upgraded by 26th November I thought perhaps I ought to go and put my order in on the ADSL Tracker,but I left totally confused as to the most suitable package to order.

At the moment I have Home Highway which would need to converted back,so self install is out of the question.As to packages I wish to have an "unrestricted" 2meg connection,and as I wish to connect 2 computers I need a router,and have no problem with an annual contractbut when I select a package that matches those discriptions it always seems to come up as self install.So if one excists which package meets my criteria and an engineer will come to our home,and do the lot remove home highway,and set up the ADSL connection,I think I can manage connecting the wifes laptop to the router assumming that is what the RJ45 Ethernet plug is for on the back of it.

I think the package I have my eye on is the one that costs £59.99 per month,but did'nt realise till I looked that there is such a bewildering array of packages

I guess what am looking for is one day to have Home Highway in the morning go out for the day and have Broadband when I get home in the evening Smiley Probably asking a lot.But any help as to which package would be fully engineer installed would be most appreciated.

Ian & Linda Jordan
5 REPLIES
N/A

the self install is so simple a 2 year old can do it. Plug a filter into your phone line plug your phone in plug you router or modem in and you are away.

the engineer wont set up your router or modem so he does very little for a lot of money

Unless you are doing some real heavy downloads then the standard 512 connection will do. My friend runs 6 pc's at work all on the 512 with no problems
N/A

First off, I am not even aware if there is an engineer install option for IPStream 2000.

As noted above, it is simple to install yourself.

When you select a ISDN conversion, an engineer will come out to your regardless, with respect to removing the ISDN equipment (if he doesn't do this, you must unplug it yourself, however, he will visit).

I wouldn't go for engineer install anyhow, as noted, they do very little for there money (£200 odd)
N/A

Ok thanks folks,I think I have it figured,I am just up for the cost of reverting from HH to an ordinary phone line if I go for self install which now it has been explained does'nt seem to complicated

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

I've just been through the exact same conversion: ISDN->standard line with ADSL (PlusNet 512K/50:1).

It really could not have been simpler and was 100% trouble-free.

Since I had HH, the digital HH box was already next to my PC, as it probably is to yours. So, instead of having those nasty, dangling, self-install splitters all over the house, I purchased a "Genuine BT Master Linebox ADSL Adaptor" (REF: ADSL/NTE5) from Clarity IT (http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm). I only have analogue equipment elsewhere in the house, so the ADSL/NTE5 was fine - it splits out the analogue signal which is then distributed around the house. If you want ADSL around the house as well, you can get a box from them that'll do the splitting at the location of each extension. The advantage of these boxes over the dangly things is 1) it's neater, 2) it's higher quality (no problems with CLID even on DECT phones) and 3) it's the exact same thing you'd get if you had Engineer Install.

When the BT Engineer came, he first went to the exchange and converted the line back to analogue and connected up the ADSL equipment there. He then came to my place and unplugged the ADSL digital box. I then asked him to use my "Genuine BT Master Linebox ADSL Adaptor" (which was absolutely identical to the one he had in his kitbag) instead of the single, non-split socket he had been going to put in. No problem. Click click and it was all done. So, where my PC is, I have a "master" socket with an ADSL output and an analogue phone output. The "Genuine BT Master Linebox ADSL Adaptor" also acts as the splitter to the line that goes off to the other parts of the house where the analogue beasties live (Sky, TiVo, DECT phone etc..). No dangly, unreliable self-install splitters anywhere.

After that, the BT engineer plugged his laptop into the ADSL line and tested it out thoroughly. He then phoned the BT Control to get their System to unregister the line as ADSL and re-register it as a standard phone line (you will lose the digital line number and the second analogue line number you used to have with HH, leaving you with just your main phone number). Had to wait about 10 minutes for this to happen. After this period, both phone and ADSL line were up and running. So he went away, having been on-site for no more than 40 minutes.

I'd already purchased my router (took the risk of buying it beforehand, since I only live 0.8Km from my exchange): DrayTek Vigor 2600. This may not be a bad choice for you either, since it also acts as a 4-way ethernet switch. I'd had it plugged in to my Ethernet port on my PC for weeks and had already done the setup as far as I could. The instructions on the PlusNet portal are excellent. So it had been sitting there for weeks saying "trying to connect".

A quick phone call to PlusNet Customer Service to activate my account and 3 minutes later I was surfing the net!

The whole thing was totally painless. The only thing I had to do myself was to phone 150 and get BT to reinstate my various caller options (BT Answer, Call Waiting, Caller Display etc.) which get removed when your ISDN line is disconnected.

So, since your case is so similar to mine, I would suggest:
1) DO NOT order "engineer install". What you get with the ISDN down-conversion is already "engineer install"
2) DO get a splitter line box (above). It's neat, splits out the analoge line for all the house extensions and is much higher quality than most of the self-install dangly splitters you can get out there. Give the BT man a cup of coffee and he'll even wire it up for you.
3) As you've had ISDN already and if you're close to your exchange, it's more than likely that your phone line will be just fine for ADSL. I'd get your router ahead of time and get it set up.

One last thing: since your exchange isn't being done until November, I'd suggest you wait until about 2 or 3 weeks before the go-live date before you place your order with PlusNet, since
1) you have to choose your package at order time and
2) there are new, faster, cheaper options becoming available at an ever-increasing rate (BT IPStream1000 is being trialled in October)
3) it's a little troublesome to change your package option once your order has been placed, and
4) it won't happen any earlier for you anyhow Cry

Hope this helps
Chris
N/A

Have just done similar... HH to 1Mb Homeworker. I DID go for the managed conversion at a cost of £57.50 from BT. My main reson for doing this is so that if the line test failed they would put my HH back immediately. It didn't and I'm on 1Mb ADSL.

I hadn't realised PlusNet would enable my account if I called them. My conversion was done Friday morning. I ordered my router, Netgear DG 814, for Saturday delivery on the Friday afternoon. Installed it Saturday, but it was Sunday befor I realised I could call PlusNet and have my account enabled. Once I did this, I was working in about 5 minutes.

In terms of HH lines, you can actually choose which number you want to retain, though they will use your primary number if you don't advise otherwise. You can also arrange for a caller re-direction message on the second line and/or a cease and retain if you have plans to install another PSTN line an retain the number. (We were going to do this but subsequently decided against it.)