cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ! Splitters/microfilters

N/A

Help ! Splitters/microfilters

Hello all, I recieved my PCI ADSL starter pack yesterday and have a couple of questions. Apologies if these are very obvious/simple questions but I am very new to this and trying to make sense of it all!

In the pack we receieved 2 "splitters" but also what looks like (after looking at dslwarehouse) a microfilter.

What are they all for ? I know what the splitter is for, but how/where/why do I need the micro filter ?

Also, the modem is connected to a phoneline I installed in an upstairs bedroom. Do I need to put a splitter on the main phone socket downstairs as well ?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Help ! Splitters/microfilters

> Hello all, I recieved my PCI ADSL starter pack yesterday and have a couple of questions. Apologies if these are very obvious/simple questions but I am very new to this and trying to make sense of it all!
>
> In the pack we receieved 2 "splitters" but also what looks like (after looking at dslwarehouse) a microfilter.
>
> What are they all for ? I know what the splitter is for, but how/where/why do I need the micro filter ?
>
> Also, the modem is connected to a phoneline I installed in an upstairs bedroom. Do I need to put a splitter on the main phone socket downstairs as well ?
>
> Many thanks for any help you can provide.

John

The things we refer to as "Splitters" are in actual fact splitters and filters in the same package.
I'll just refer to it as a Splitter from now on.
There should be a wire tail that comes out of the Splitter box and this goes into your phone socket.
On the splitter box should be 2 sockets.
One of these should accept your telephone and this is the Low frequency output of the splitter.
The other socket should accept the cable from your Modem or Router whatever ADSL device you have and this is the High frequency output of the Splitter.

Now for the bit that confuses everybody.
ALL your phones should be connected to the line via a Splitter but you can use the same single splitter for all of them depending how your house is wired and where your PC is situated.

For example if you have just one socket where the line comes in and you have extended it yourelf then you could insert just one splitter in that and then plug the cable for the other phone's into it.

If however your setup is "Hard wired" where the extension cable is fixed into the back of the main master socket then you will have to use other splitters at the extensions with phones on them.

What you MUST NOT do though is to finish up with the line to your modem going through 2 splitters or you will seriously degrade the high frequency signal to the modem because is will have passed through a low frequency filter as well.

Best thing to do is to sit down and draw out a sketch of your system to work out just how your wiring fits in.

Hope all that helps.

Oh as to the othe device that you are calling a "Filter" I suspect that is an option for the American market and you should not need to use it.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

RE: Help ! Splitters/microfilters

Many thanks for your response John, that's a very big help. I've had a look at some various adslsites and *think* I know what to do now - so will have another crack at it tonight.

Thanks again.