cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Required by all you nice guys!

N/A

Help Required by all you nice guys!

ok, so my acct is active (allegedly) ive got my adsl modem installed in my pc. I take the lead and plug it into the phone line......now what?
sorry to sound thick but I am ginger...
alex.cotgreave@ntl.com
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Help Required by all you nice guys!

> ok, so my acct is active (allegedly) ive got my adsl modem installed in my pc. I take the lead and plug it into the phone line......now what?
> sorry to sound thick but I am ginger...
> alex.cotgreave@ntl.com

- Yes, your account appears to be active as PlusNet have asssigned you an IP address:
hangus78.plus.com (212.159.101.3)

- It may be that all you need do now is let Windows (if thats what your using) know that you want to send and receive Internet traffic through the modem. Exactly what needs to be done depends upon your hardware/software combination but here are some pointers:
- Click Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network>TCP-IP>Properties
- Select the Gateway tab:
- Enter the IP address of the Gateway (your modem). This could be 212.129.101.3 or something like 192.168.0.1 if your modem provides Network Address Translation (NAT).
- Select the IP address tab:
- Choose 'allocate an IP address automatically' if your modem provides DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). If this does not work enter the IP address of your modem (212.129.101.3).
- Click 'OK' to confirm the changes.
- You may have to reboot your PC after doing some of the above, and your PC may ask for the original Windows CD after the re-boot.

N/A

> ok, so my acct is active (allegedly) ive got my adsl modem installed in my pc. I take the lead and plug it into the phone line......now what?
> alex.cotgreave@ntl.com

============================
what version of windows have you got? If it's XP it's simple. Also is it a PCI modem or is it an external usb/ethernet modem?
N/A

> > ok, so my acct is active (allegedly) ive got my adsl modem installed in my pc. I take the lead and plug it into the phone line......now what?
> > sorry to sound thick but I am ginger...
> > alex.cotgreave@ntl.com
>
> - Yes, your account appears to be active as PlusNet have asssigned you an IP address:
> hangus78.plus.com (212.159.101.3)
>
> - It may be that all you need do now is let Windows (if thats what your using) know that you want to send and receive Internet traffic through the modem. Exactly what needs to be done depends upon your hardware/software combination but here are some pointers:
> - Click Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network>TCP-IP>Properties
> - Select the Gateway tab:
> - Enter the IP address of the Gateway (your modem). This could be 212.129.101.3 or something like 192.168.0.1 if your modem provides Network Address Translation (NAT).
> - Select the IP address tab:
> - Choose 'allocate an IP address automatically' if your modem provides DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). If this does not work enter the IP address of your modem (212.129.101.3).
> - Click 'OK' to confirm the changes.
> - You may have to reboot your PC after doing some of the above, and your PC may ask for the original Windows CD after the re-boot.
>
>
Sorry, replace instances of 212.129.101.3 with 212.159.101.3 in the above.

N/A

> alex.cotgreave@ntl.com

Hi Mark,

Normally after you've installed your modem drivers and set them up (please see http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?SIkWhoPpcf0%3D for further information on settings), you get an icon on the desktop or in dialup networking to connect using your modem.
You need to log in with your username as hangus78@plus.net and your password. Your IP address and DNS addresses should get assigned automatically.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Richard

--
| Richard Allen Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

OK, ive installed the modem, done various bits, plugged it in etc....

Theres no icon on my desktop to connect to a server to put my password etc in.

My pc is just making a 'Ting' noise every few seconds which is really pissing me off

When I look at my ADSL connection thingie it shows a pic of the connection trying, then i get an icon showing ADSL is connected, then a cross appears saying disconnected, then it does it again and again and again!!!

Please can someone help me!!

PS does this have anything to do with the fact that ive not got a splitter thingy yet for the wall?