cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed Securing Belkin Wireless Router

N/A

I've got a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router and I'm having problems with the WPA-PSK. I put the key in the Router and it appears to accept it. I put the same key in to the Windows XP Wireless Network Connection utility and try to connect and I can't connect to the Router.

I'm copying and pasting the key from a text file so I know it's the same key. I can get a wired connec tion the Router fine.

There's 2 types of WPA security available from the Security drop down box:

WPA-PSK (no server)
WPA (with radius server)

Does this have something to do with it ? I'm trying to use WPA-PSk (no server). I've used Netgear kit until now and they only have one choice, WPA-PSK).

Sorry to have to ask you guys but I can't get through on the "free" Belkin support line.
6 REPLIES
N/A

not too sure with belkin kit as I use netgear myself. Make sure in the belkin router you are using WPA-PSK - if there is an option for data encryption type make sure this is selected to TKIP.

Same thing under windows - make sure it's WPA-PSK and in the dropdown box below that, select TKIP.

Have you also tried rebooting your router and PC once the settings are in? I remember on earlier versions of a netgear PCMCIA card I had, WPA would not work until a reboot :?

Let us know how you get on.
N/A

Thanks for this. Can confirm both Router and PC are WPA-PSK with TKIP. Have also tried re-booting both but they still can't connect.

I've checked the manufacturers web site for firmware updates but I've not been able to find any.
N/A

what wireless cards are you using?
N/A

The one I've got here today is Dell 54G mini pci (which happily connects to my Netgear DG834G using WPA-PSK TKIP) in a laptop. I've also tried it with a Belkin 54G PCI card in a PC.
N/A

ah..

What you may have to do if using WPA-PSK is enable "SSID" broadcast on your router. I know it can cause problems sometimes..
N/A

I've found the same in the past but it is enabled on this Router.