cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Big problems changing ISP

N/A

Hi can anyone please give me some advice? A couple of years ago, my employer paid for me to have BT Business 500 installed on my home phone line, which was nice. Since then I have changed employer, and understandably the old service has been terminated.
I have tried signing up with PlusNet but I am told that - "there is a broadband service showing on the line and we can't take you on until this is removed".
I have tried and tried to sort this out with BT but they say there is nothing more they have to do, and that PlusNet can do the rest. They even suggested that I should not even be ringing them about the problem. I have rung PlusNet a couple of times now and they are adamant that this 'marker' exists and that they cannot help me until it is removed.
What do I do? I have been without Broadband for nearly 2 weeks and it's driving me (and my wife and kids) mad.
Does anyone know what I have to do to resolve this? Who is right in this scenario - BT or PlusNet?
Any opinions much appreciated as I am caught between a rock and a hard place.... Sad
David Lawrence
8 REPLIES
N/A

If you have only been without broadband for 2 weeks, then this is quite common.

It's cause by the BT Databases taking a while to catchup, and complete the work of removing ADSL from your line.

It should in theory be any time now that it is complete.

I suggest asking PlusNet to keep submitting the activation.

If it does continue beyond a 3rd week, I would suggest contacting andrew AT ADSL Guide (mrsaffron), who is normaly very good in chasing BT and getting things like this curred.

There is little PlusNet can do to directly fix it, as BT Wholesale class BT as the customer, so the Data Protection Act prevents PlusNet talking to BT Wholesale about it.
N/A

I can't help but i would like to wish you goodluck!
Computers who needs them (i take that back, lol - i am depressingly attached to mine even when the thing doesn't work properly)

I hope u get it sorted sooner rather than later
Julie
Community Veteran

It looks like when the original BT broadband was cancelled their (Bt retails) ISP marker on your line was not removed. This marker is to stop other ISPs trying to add broadband to your line as only one ISP can have broadband activated at any one time.

Was it BT or BT retail you were speaking to - they are 2 different companies, BT deal with the voice line and BT retail are an ISP supplying BT broadband (amoungst other broadband products)? If BT, they are not responsible for broadband, only your voice connection. It is BT retail you need to talk to and only they can remove the marker on your line.

When was broadband cancelled on your line? It can sometimes take a few weeks for the BT Wholesale database to be updated when a cancellation occurs, assuming BT retail have actually asked for the marker to be removed!. All ADSL orders go via BT Wholesale (yes another separate company - confusing isn't it) but only ISPs can talk to them directly, not end-users like you and I.

There is nothing PlusNet can do in this instance as it is only BT retail that can remove the line marker so it is them you need to keep pestering to get this sorted out. If it's because the BTW database is not yet up to date then it's a waiting game by all parties until it is updated. In this situation just ask PN to keep submitting the order and it should go through soon.
N/A

Thank you for the replies everyone - including Julie, even though I couldn't solve her MAC problems!.
The old service was discontinued on 6 September, so less than 2 weeks.
The general theme of the responses is that it takes a while for BT Wholesale to remove the 'marker' that is on the line, and that I should keep pestering PlusNet to check the line from time to time until it is clear.
I have posted a similar question on the ADSLGuide forum, and it looks (from the one response so far) like I may have to wait up to 5 weeks before I get Broadband back again. Boy this sucks. I thought it was going to be quick and simple. Silly me I should have realised that nothing is simple with BT. It's just not in their interest to help a Customer who is defecting to another supplier I suppose.
I work in the Electricity industry and we would get a roasting from the Regulator if we treated Customers (even Customers who are leaving us) like this.......
Frustrated Dave
Community Veteran

It would have been easier if you could have arranged to migrate the service rather than cancelling. This is done within 5 days and there is no downtime. You would also not have had to pay another activation fee.

I suspect this may not have been an option or your were not aware this could be done. Although it sounds like its still your phone line so it should have been possible.
N/A

Normaly customers moving ISPs, use the Migration system, which is so much more painless.

To put things mildly though, the method you are using is a lot lot quicker than it used to be.
N/A

I was aware of the 'migration' option but wasn't sure it applied to me. My old service had been discontinued (it carried on for a couple of weeks after I left my old employer, then one day it didn't work any more).
I found the PlusNet website, through ADSLGuide, and just followed the 'signup' procedure. I did see the migration option but didn't take it cos.....
1. My old service had been discontinued by that time
2. I was nervous that it would be incompatible since it was a business service.

As a dumb user I don't claim to know the technicalities of all this, although I am learning fast!
I suppose I was expecting a service where you provide your phone number and bank details and the rest is done for you - migration, new installation, whatever it takes.

Anyway I do inderstand now that I have to wait a while to see if this 'marker' comes off and I have to keep pestering PlusNet to test the line and proceed when it is clear.

Dave
N/A

The saga continues.....
Today I managed to speak to a BT guy who knew his stuff. He confirmed that the original service was terminated just over a week ago. He also confirmed that ANOTHER ISP was now providing a service!!
As I understand it, my previous employer has just migrated ALL employees' home ADSL to another ISP and since I had left I didn't get told. Ironically the new ISP is yet ANOTHER arm of BT (BT Internet Remote??). I just wish BT had told me this when I called them last week. All they told me back then was that the old service had been terminated. How was I to know any different?
Anyway I have now contacted my old employer and asked them to get the new service terminated, after which my home line should 'clear' and I can then sign up with PlusNet. Hooray! Cheesy