cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads up - cheap Belkin ADSL WiFi Router

Community Veteran

In case anyone's thinking about buying the said router, PC World are doing it for the rather cheap price of £89.99, as part of their Easter offers... the price ends tomorrow. I believe you can get it a little cheaper if you shop around online, but once you've paid delivery it probably doesn't result in much, if any, of a saving.

And yes, I've just got one, though it probably won't be installed 'til Wednesday.

Thomas
10 REPLIES
wandelaar
Grafter

Hi Thomas,

Good luck with the router.

Just be careful if you have any digital cordless phones around.

They are on a very similar if not identical radio frequency and can cause great fun.

Clue is noise on the phone when router is turned on..

Not an ADSL filter problem, but it can give the appearance of such a fault.

Regards

Dave
Community Veteran

As a matter of fact I do have two DECT phones, but I already have an 802.11g network running, with no problems of interference on either the phones or the netowork.

Thanks for the advice though anyway. Smiley

Thomas
wandelaar
Grafter

Your welcome.

Cheers

Dave
N/A

Belkin Router F5D7630-4A

Hi Thomas
I have just spent two days on and off to get the internet side of this router to work ,two calls to plusnet and two calls to belkin still can not connect to plusnet please if you work it out let me know.

Brian
Community Veteran

Hi,
Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. Shockedops: I decided to install the router yesterday, and I have to say that I didn't have any problems whatsoever. However, my router came with the most recent firmware version pre-installed, and I know the older firmware has caused people serious problems.

Here is a screenshot showing where the firmware version can be found, and which version I have. If you have an older version than me, you'll need to download the latest version, here.

Thomas
Community Veteran

Just a note to anyone who's interested in this device....

This thing is fast. I'm fully aware that web-based speed-testers can't be relied upon for accurate results, but I've just done the PlusNet one and got 62.4KBps! Shocked That is several KB faster than I was getting up until I installed this router. Excellent!

Thomas
N/A

Hi Thomas,

Good luck with the router.

Just be careful if you have any digital cordless phones around.

They are on a very similar if not identical radio frequency and can cause great fun.

Clue is noise on the phone when router is turned on..

Not an ADSL filter problem, but it can give the appearance of such a fault.

Regards

Dave

I have also got this router, although I had to take 2 back. I'm now very pleased. Belkin free tec support is excellent. My settings are identical to yours; the UPnP is disabled, do you know is there an advantage to enable it?
Community Veteran

See UPnP - Is it worth using? Seeking info and advice.

Basically, if everything you need is working with it disabled, you don't need it.
N/A

I know the older firmware has caused people serious problems.

Not just the firmware, although that was a major issue.

After an initial total nightmare and a flat refusal by DABS to help me, BELKIN gave me a new router. I then managed to install the updated firmware (which previously wouldn't install across a 10Mbps link) by sticking a new 100Mbps NIC in. Things went fine after that and I had nearly two months of uptime until recently. Now I have to restart the router at least once a day and once in a while I have to power it down completely for an hour or so.

Belkin's Tech Support is very good unlike Linksys which in my experience is non-existant. One of the things I picked up during one of my many calls to the Indian Sub Continent was that there is/was an overheating problem, and there's a thread running in adslguide.org.uk where someone says they have received a replacement power supply ( 5v instead of 9v output ).

Since I installed mine I've gone from being port scanned dozens of times an hour to maybe once or twice a week. I set the router to drop all icmp requests so either that has been spectacularly succesful or the security log doesn't record all events. I don't see any way of configuring it.

I reckon that the best thing about it is the lifetime guarantee.
Community Veteran

Oh well. I guess that's the problem with new technology (when it was introduced, it was pretty a much a first-of-its-kind)... it can go wrong. So far mine seems very good, but I know enough about computers to know that things don't necessarilly stay that way. :roll: Still, good to hear Belkin's tech support is good in case it's ever needed.

Thomas