cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having real probs with MS Exchange and my router!

N/A

Having real probs with MS Exchange and my router!

Somebody help.....please!
Ive tried everything but i can`t get exchange to download my mail via the router. Its driving me insane. And just to add to the termoil im having probs with setting up SMTP mail for one of my domains to go to the same place.
Ive tried everything that Plus have told me, but i can`t get anything to work. Help Please!
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Having real probs with MS Exchange and my router!

Hi

Which version of exchange are you running? What sort of router? Are there any errors you can tell us about?

If your using exchange 2000 it *should* just be a case of using NAT (Network Address Translation) to forward all connections on port 25 (smtp) to the internal IP address of your Exchange server.

Any more info you can give us would be helpfull though..

Either that or go have a look on good old http://groups.google.com a saviour of mine on several occasions, if your using Microsoft Software the chances are that if its a software issue someone else has had it too at somepoint and posted it on a newsgroup Smiley
N/A

Thx for getting back to me so soon.

The version of Exchange is 5.0 and its sitting on an old version of SBS. The router is a standard BT one (that you get when you sign up to plus) and as far as i know there are no concievable errors, it just won`t down load the mail.
The server is set up ok because all the users have access to the internet via the router its just that exchange will not pick up the mail.
Heres the set up: Ive got about 10 users connected to sbs on a LAN. The router is plugged in to a hub and has its own lan ip address.
Plus have set me up with a block of 4 ip addresses which they tell me one of can be the smtp mail, this is where my mind gets blown. I also have a domain (www.maidstoneplumbing.co.uk) which needs to have all the mail directed to my mail server. I think ive totally confused my self with the whole matter.
If i was to upgrade my server to SBS 2000 would it make my life a hell of alot easier to set up smtp mail via my router. Help!
> Hi
>
> Which version of exchange are you running? What sort of router? Are there any errors you can tell us about?
>
> If your using exchange 2000 it *should* just be a case of using NAT (Network Address Translation) to forward all connections on port 25 (smtp) to the internal IP address of your Exchange server.
>
> Any more info you can give us would be helpfull though..
>
> Either that or go have a look on good old http://groups.google.com a saviour of mine on several occasions, if your using Microsoft Software the chances are that if its a software issue someone else has had it too at somepoint and posted it on a newsgroup Smiley

N/A

>it just won`t down load the mail.
> Plus have set me up with a block of 4 ip addresses which they tell me one of can be the smtp mail, this is where my mind gets blown.

OK, I thin you are getting confused between the concept of SMTP mail transfer and POP mail retrieval thats all. SMTP mail is used for continuos connection so the server doesn't technically 'download the mail' from anywhere. When mail is sent to your domain it doesn't go to a holding place it goes straight to the IP of the mx record in the domains zone file on Plusnet's dns server. Yopu don't mention what your domain is, so I can't check to see if you have set up the MX record. Assuming that you havn't then you need to do this in the domain control panel on this site. I suggest that you use the RFC comnvention and create a subdomain called 'mail.your domain.xx' and point it at one of your four IPs.

I have the USB version of ADSL so I am using a linux box to do my NAT, unforunately I don't know the config of your router, but I am going to assume that your CIDR range of IPs have been configured to work off of your router and the routing tables are set up as such. Theoretically (if my assumptions are correct) all you need to do is set up exchange with one of these avaible IPs (remeber the first one is prolly the router) and it should route straight to your mail server. Use the second IP for mail, or the third if you have a firewall in place.

Its very difficult to actually figure where the problem lies on the basis of what you have said so far, if you are still having problems though email me and I will help all I can. phil@roughjusticeNOSPAM.co.uk

regards

Phil
N/A

Phil,

Thank for the response to my forum entry. This whole thing is getting a bit frantic as nobody can get any mail yet.

Right here is the situation in full:

I have a BT router connected to a hub on my network via a cross over cable. All workstations on the network are able to connect to the net using the router as the default gateway. Each have the router IP address and DNS records on them and the net is super fast on all machines.
The server also has access to the internet using the router as the gateway. It seems the internet is not a problem.

Im using microsoft exchange as my smtp mail program. Plus Net have supplied me with a block of four IP addresses, as you said correctly the first one is the router. My domain is www.maidstoneplumbing.co.uk and i need all mail forwarded to this address. When i check my web mail all the test mails that people have sent are still there and have not been transfered.

Im not too sure what you mean by "I suggest that you use the RFC comnvention and create a subdomain called 'mail.your domain.xx' and point it at one of your four IPs." Is this to do with MX records? and if so where do i find my MX records or is the router supposed to have an MX number on it (this is what i was told by somebody else)

Would it be a major advantage to upgrade my current version of Small Business Server (which includes exchange) to SBS 2000. Its currently a v.old version, 4.0 i think. I know 2000 has a broadband setup wizard.

I need some more pointers on this subdomain situation. I think that currently i have two domains registered with Plus Net and if you send mail to either of them (user@maidstoneplumbing.co.uk or user@thebathroom.co.uk) they do automaticaly get forwarded to my web mail. I just need to get this smpt buisness sorted out so that exchange recognises the correct Ip address and forwards my post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

By the way, i could ot get your e-mail address to work.

N/A

Alex,

Are you running the pop3 connector for Exchange. As standard exchange server does not support a POP3 mailbox.

if you haven't got it, search the Microsoft site, download and install it. It's a breeze to setup.

Hope this helps.

Scott.
N/A

OK, I know what the problem is now and its MX records: This is your current set up:

phil@ravenclaw:~$ dig mx maidstoneplumbing.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.1.2 <<>> mx maidstoneplumbing.co.uk
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 21964
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONA
L: 6

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;maidstoneplumbing.co.uk. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
maidstoneplumbing.co.uk. 86400 IN MX 10 mx.core.plus.net
.uk.
maidstoneplumbing.co.uk. 86400 IN MX 20 mx.plus.net.uk.
maidstoneplumbing.co.uk. 86400 IN MX 50 mx-c.force9.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
maidstoneplumbing.co.uk. 14400 IN NS ns1.force9.net.
maidstoneplumbing.co.uk. 14400 IN NS ns2.force9.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mx.core.plus.net.uk. 76416 IN A 212.159.11.36
mx.plus.net.uk. 13725 IN A 195.166.128.26
mx.plus.net.uk. 13725 IN A 195.166.128.27
mx-c.force9.net. 76281 IN A 195.166.128.29
ns1.force9.net. 70329 IN A 195.166.128.16
ns2.force9.net. 66739 IN A 195.166.128.17

;; Query time: 90 msec
;; SERVER: 195.147.246.75#53(195.147.246.75)
;; WHEN: Tue Apr 30 15:43:50 2002
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 279

All looks scary huh? OK, you see near the top it says MX with a priority of 10 and that goes to mx.core.plus.net. That means all your email is going to aPOP box on Plusnet's server. SMTP is not POP. Now you can do what the guy above suggest (sorry can't see his name now) or you can do the follwoing instead.

Login to the portal and go to 'My Domain Names'
Choose to 'configure' your domain.
Check 'I wish to specify DNS records for mail to this domain' instead of POP.
Now press the 'Configure DNS Records' button
In the left field type 'mail' (all lower case).
Now choose the type ie 'MX' from the drop down.
Now choose the Prioirty,. I suggest 10. Note the lowest priority number is the first place mail will try to go.
Now put the IP of your mail server in the next field.
Now press 'Add'
All done.
You may want to give PLusnet a ring and ask if they have 'back up relay server' you can use for mail after this. They should be able to tell you the addy and stuff.

Hope that helps Smiley

Phil

You did take the 'NOSPAM' bit out of my addy right?

N/A

Thank for your help Phil. I shall try it out and see where i get. No doubt i`ll be giving you a shout back. Thank again

Alex
N/A

> Thank for your help Phil. I shall try it out and see where i get. No doubt i`ll be giving you a shout back. Thank again
>
> Alex

forgot to mention, the changes will take 24hours for full propagation of the new MX records around the internet (assuming that Plusnet use a TTL of 24hrs for their zone record on the name server)

good luck.

Phil
N/A

Yes,

We always quote 24 hours as guide for MX updates.

Kind Regards

Kevin

| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support ................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----