cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the capping started

N/A

Has the capping started

Just wondering if the capping has started as it says this when you choose a connection

No need to keep track of how much you download.

Also it says 24.99 a month for 2mb what the
34 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Has the capping started

No. The FUP (Fair Usage Policy) hasn't come into effect just yet.

Due to an error loading the VMU tool into the portal, the FUP rollout has been delayed until further notice.

Remember, it's not really a CAP, just a restriction of service if you go over your Fair Usage Level constantly.
N/A

Has the capping started

Also i have just seen this thing called broadband plus were you get 2mb for 24.99 no download restrictions is this worth geting
N/A

Has the capping started

If or not, this package is suitable for you, depends on what you wish to use the connections for.

The package uses QOS to priortise web and mail traffic, whilst P2P is depriortised. This means that at peak times, P2P traffic may slow, to allow web and mail traffic to remain at high speed.
N/A

Has the capping started

Well i intend to play online games a lot over xbox live and pc. Dowload some times not all the time. And network some of my pcs to the connection
pgudge
Grafter

Has the capping started

I was wondering when the FUP was coming in, the email said 14th, i've been checking my usage since then like a hawk.

Remember, it's not really a CAP, just a restriction of service if you go over your Fair Usage Level constantly.

Are PN employing its users to push the "its not a cap" message around, NO matter how you call it, say or put it, PN are putting a CAP on the services.

You may be knocked to 128kb/s if you go over, but thats no use or ornament to a BB user, its a CAP.

The package uses QOS to priortise web and mail traffic

Do PN do a service that blocks P2P completely or just throttles it at peak times?
N/A

Has the capping started

I think the plus package is ment to do that with p2p as they just replyed back to my question with what you said.
Community Veteran

Has the capping started

I was wondering when the FUP was coming in, the email said 14th, i've been checking my usage since then like a hawk.

See Announcement: Fair Usage Policy - UPDATE. It has been delayed until a problem installing the new VMBU pages has been solved.

Are PN employing its users to push the "its not a cap" message around, NO matter how you call it, say or put it, PN are putting a CAP on the services.

They are restricting the service not capping it once you exceed your fair usage allowance 3 times in a row. If you want to call it a CAP then fine, others prefer to call it something else.

You may be knocked to 128kb/s if you go over, but thats no use or ornament to a BB user, its a CAP.

The restriction is 150Kbs not 128Kbs.

The package uses QOS to priortise web and mail traffic

Do PN do a service that blocks P2P completely or just throttles it at peak times?

All broadband home products have an option to block P2P traffic - Just enable the surf option under connection settings. This is not yet 100% effective but it soon will be. The broadband plus products limit P2P and binary newsgroups during busy periods and only prioritise web/email etc.
N/A

Has the capping started

NO matter how you call it, say or put it, PN are putting a CAP on the services.

No they are not capping your connection.

To CAP something means to stop it, e.g to Cap an oil well, or to cap the council tax.

The FUP doesn’t do that. It doesn’t stop your connection.
N/A

Has the capping started

I don't know about you, but a "cap" to me means "an upper limit" or "to impose a limit". We can all use a dictionary to our own ends. Wink
chymorva
Grafter

Has the capping started

Agreed. However PN are not imposing a limit to the amount of data downloaded, just to the speed at which you can download after exceeding your quota ( and even then that is only after 2 consecutive months of excessive use )
N/A

Has the capping started

exceeding your quota
-> That's a cap, surely! Wink
LiamM
Grafter

Has the capping started

May I just point out that ADSL Broadband is sold with a contention ratio of 50:1.

This means, effectively, that we could receive speeds as low as 10k on 512, 20k on 1Mb, 40k on 2Mb and 160k on 8Mb. These speeds would all be within the specification of a broadband service. Stupid I know as some of these are slower than dialup, but thats the specification for you, and in reality this never happens on Plusnet's network.

The restriction IIRC is 160k. This is still therefore within the specification of an 8Mb Broadband Connection and is well over the minimums for 512, 1mb, 2mb.

A CAP by my definition is a restriction of service, slower than the specification already allows (50:1 Contention), or a complete stop to service, once reaching a specific level.

Tiscali cap users as 2Gb or 30Gb depending on your package. Once you reach this, you're stopped immediately. No more access allowed until your next billing date. Same sort of thing with Wanadoo and many other 'mainstream' ISPs.

What Plusnet are doing, to me, is therefore not a CAP. It is indeed a restriction of service, but it's still within the specification of the service that they sold me. Furthermore, I see it as being to my own benefit. The FUP is allowing them to maintain their high-quality network for maximum speed and reliability when I don't go over my usage level.
N/A

Has the capping started

Agreed. However PN are not imposing a limit to the amount of data downloaded, just to the speed at which you can download after exceeding your quota ( and even then that is only after 2 consecutive months of excessive use )

So a customer who has and pays for a 2mb connection, can expect to have their connection speed lowered, if they go over the FUP set for their account . As I have a contract with PN to supply me with a 2mb connection would that consttute a breach of contract? If speed is lowered then so is the amount that can be downloaded in a particular time frame, so that is just another way of limiting the amount of data that can be downloaded.
That's one point that concerns me (although I suppose PN have covered themselves by changing the terms of my original contract)
The second point that concerns me with this policy of FU is what will happen when the majority of customers start setting their software to download between 1am and 8am will that then become "peak time", meaning the whole thing will have to be looked at again?

Must note here that I'm not too concerned about the FUP as I'm very unlikely to go over the limit set for my connection.
pgudge
Grafter

Has the capping started

nah, I think the peak times will be there purely for the business folk, they are paying more so they are more important. Wink

I dont 'not' agree with the FUP, it will sting me like a beast as my last few months have been 45GB / 74GB / 52GB, on 1mb(50GB) so I will be getting stung, I know they have to do something about it, what I HATE is a coverup of "its not a CAP", as mariglenn nicely put it, we can all call it a different name.

Either its unlimited or its capped.