cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has overnight become the new 'peak' time for P2P?

N/A

I've become accustomed to pathetic P2P performance on PN (although not for much longer as I'll be set up with a new ISP in a week or so), but things seem to have become even worse now.

I have access to a no thrills 512kb ADSL connection via work and yesterday managed to comfortably grab a 490Mb file from a torrent (~200 seeds/1000 leeches) in a few hours during the afternoon. Left the same torrent running from 10pm last night until 6am this morning via my PN connection (1Mb), and managed to download a whopping 190Mb. Have fired up the same torrent again this morning on my non-PN connection and it's saying around 3 hours or so for another 490Mb chunk.

Would anyone from PN like to explain exactly what it is, apart from network mismanagement and a lack of capacity, that is causing such a huge disparity between PN and other ISPs? Like someone from PN said here yesterday, unlimited broadband is a thing of the past, but surely useable broadband is not too much to ask for?
11 REPLIES
N/A

I started to download a 350Mb file at 9.15 this morning. It's now 6.20pm and so far I only have 250Mb!
Bag of sh1t!

Who should I migrate to? I've had enough of this. Cry
N/A

I've just downloaded a software update for my printer connection was SLOW AS HELL what are we paying our money for each & every monthHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?? They talk about faster speeds if you upgrade the service BUT why would you upgrade to a faster service when PN can't give us the speeds that we are ment to be getting now!
lmhudson
Grafter

I've just migreated out

N/A

Good luck m8
N/A

brooooooooaaaaaaaaadbaaaaaand speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

========um.... i came here looking for help - to rectify the snail speed that now makes surfing impossible. gave up p2p a
week or 2 back, when i tried again month after an absence for other reasons. heigh ho, searching again! Evil
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looks like your exchange status is currently red for capacity and has been for a while, you can check this at:

http://usertools.force9.net/exchanges/

The eta. for the fix was last week, but we haven't had confirmation of that (the data is usually 1-2 weeks behind) so it may have been delayed. I'd suggest checking again in a few days and see if the status changes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

ANOTHER red exchangeHuh

I really do wonder how this is always the case with PN yet any other ISP doesn't have the same problem!

It's amazing... no really it is.

PN face it, you need to buy more bandwidth or stop offering 8MB connections so cheaply that it's destroying your business model. Most other ISP's are offering 2MB connections for your prices and they have HAPPY CUSTOMERS.

If you want to survive and still be employed by BT (who have a habit of terminating staff contracts in dept's that don't support themselves) then you need to take drastic action to save yourselves. No more 'looking into', 'trying to find' faults etc get it done and dealt with. You guys have become way too complacent at your desks.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

Thats a good thing Bt coming in and taking over whats seems to be a safe job not for long matey.When the axeman cometh from BT he will be chopping like no tommorrow at the chuff that PN employ.
Why do members from Metronet never complain about speed , something going whiffy here.
Community Veteran

No it's not a good thing. With BT things will just get worse though yes they'll also start axing things that don't pay for themselves.

I just hope we can switch ISP before BT liquidate PN and we're all stuck with dead BB connections due to BT claiming they've lost money from PN and won't release our connections until settlement.
shellsong
Grafter

Fortunately Ofcom has stopped ISPs from doing that sort of thing since 14th Feb
Community Veteran

Yes but have they stopped BT?

When my brothers ISP went into liquidation, BT's bill wasn't paid. Therefore BT decided to block all that ISP's customers from being able to move to a new ISP until the existing ISP could/would pay for the customers to be released. Obviously the ISP was out of funds so my brother (along with a few thousand others) was offline for 2 weeks.

BT is a bully. Don't think otherwise. They're in a big industry and they want your money any way they can get it.