cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had a good Experience being upgraded to Maxdsl?

N/A

Just wondered now that plusnet are taking the option to opt-in to max-dsl, what peoples experiences are who have been upgraded (or downgraded if its a bad one)??

As I would like the higher speeds but if its a nightmare with too many bugs in the works currently then might wait instead of risking my stable 2mbit.
26 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

We were upgraded in the middle of last month and it has been pretty painless but we did have an SNR of about 35dB beforehand which is now about 13dB at a synch of 8.128Mbps.

Contention appears to limit downloads to between about 2Mbps and 4Mbps depending on the time of day-- I've never seen anything approaching the synch speed or even the 5-6Mbps that were being bandied about in the trial period
Alecto
Grafter

No problems here at all. Had Max since just after it got started and now scraping in at 5MbMax stable spped thanks to my trusty Netgear DG834, and not had even a sign of a problem.

My line was marked with BT initially as "can get 512k, may get 1Mb with engineer visit", but I had a steady 2Mb connection (SNR 18, attenuation 50) for ages before Max came in. SNR now ranges from 6 to negative (according to the router) and atten still 50.
Very rarely drops the connection - once a week if that.

There have been some posted on here with awful problems, but they must be a very very small percentage of those who've been maxed..

So if you're one of the majority, fill your boots.
If you're one of the others, you can always go back to a fixed speed.

Problem is, you don't know in advance which group you're going to fall into.
Probablity is with everything going OK though Smiley
Slipperymack
Grafter

gpattison - I have the same router, DG834v2 and product as you. Do you ever reboot your router or have you left it to sync etc of its own accord.

I ask because I have had major speed problems (documented elsewhere) since being MaxDSL'd on 1/5/06 and I want to cover all angles whilst BT and PN ponder my ongoing ticket.

Sorry if I have gone off subject etc.

Thanks

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Alecto
Grafter

Mal, I never ever reboot the router - I just turn it off at the wall when I turn my computer off at night. It's plugged into the same multiplug as the computer, screen printer etc. It just sort of comes on with the computer and sees to itself.

On the odd occasion that it's dropped out, I've only noticed cos my torrents have stopped, but it reboots itself and they just carry on.

I assume you do have the latest firmware for yours? (V3.01.25) If not, that's the problem.
Slipperymack
Grafter

Thanks gpattison.

I have the latest firmware. Will leave my router to its own accord for a while -see if this makes a diference on its own. Maybe something for router owners with MaxDSL problems to consider?
Alecto
Grafter

Last desperate thought - did you also press the reset thingie on the back after installing the new firmware?
Slipperymack
Grafter

gpattison

No after I reset it (a per advise from Netgear CS) I then re-loaded the firmware.

Thanks for your interest. I now await PN and BT - shame the response from them isn't quicker !!!!
N/A

Back to the original question - Yes, I had an excellent service, 8128 sync and 8000 stable rate, downloads varied 5.5-7.5 meg. SNR and ATT were beautiful , I can see the exchange from the window. Now they put me on interleaving - no idea why, I hardly had any errors. I don't mind the higher pings 'cos I dont play games but my stable rate is up and down like a fiddler's elbow - 4000 right now and I am synched at 7616 as usual since interleaving. I think BT may be using good lines to test the system and see how much they can screw them up! :?
salts
Grafter

Yep no problems here either (Christchurch Xchange), didn't even know it had been done, but then I _never_ reboot my router, its on 24-7. This was a Netgear DG834G v2 on an older version of the firmware (2?) worked fine.

Recently upgraded the firmware to 3 didn't seem to make any difference. No idea whether it is using interleaving though.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36 db 10 db
Noise Margin 12 db 24 db

I get up 6Mbit @ 6:30am, other times a low as 1.5Mbit, I presume MaxDSL is not provided at a 50:1 contention ratio? Or some weazel words like 50:1 contention up to 2Mbit then anything above that is pure luck?

EDIT: Looking back at the last 3months logs, looks like had a bit of a rough time between the 4th - 6th July, up and down several times an hour, but mostly during the day when it's not in use.

Other outages probably due to electrical storms.
Bojangles
Grafter

Yes, the first few days were a bit haywire with the speed going all over the place but that was to be expected. The following week was quite variable with anything from 200-800kbps. After that it has just been tickety boo. Thankyou Plusnet.
Community Veteran

I've had MAX for a while now and I'm very happy with it. A reliable 4.5 to 5.5 Mbps connection and I can't remember ever having had a disconnection.

Bob
RfC2k7
Dabbler

I got upgraded beginning of the month, altho I was stuck at 2mb for first few days, everything has been great, my connection averages about 5.5mb most of the day, usually never goes below 4mb and most ive seen it hit is 6.5mb.

Im very happy with it, especially seen as I have an old speedtouch 330 usb modem Smiley .
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

No problems at all, for the first week or so the speeds varied but then settled down. It just worked!
N/A

Speed problem

I run an Netgear 834v2. I was upgraded to maxdsl a few weeks ago. At first the connection speed was 3.7mbps, after a few days this dropped to 3.4 and I assumed this was the fastest stable speed as my line attenuation was 48db. I am about 2k from the exchange and as far as I know the cables run directly along the road. My connection speed has been steadily falling and is now often down to 1.4mbps. I raised this with PN who passed it to BT who say there is no problem. Reading the comments here most people seem to be connecting at much faster speeds. Has anyone any tips?