cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware-related cnxn prob: AMX-64E

N/A

Hi

I'm having a bit of difficulty resolving an odd problem.

I have two machines which are are often used at the same time, and a couple of others which spend most of their time not connected to the router! Recently I've found that one of the machines (my girlfriend Lou's) is regularly having problems sending data. Standard web-browsing seems to work ok - receive only. However, you can't send email from either outlook OR from webmail. This isn't limited to Plusnet email either - neither excite nor the outlook web access Lou's work use will send email, although they all receive well enough.

This can normally be rectified by rebooting the router - a dabsvalue AMX-64E 4-port ADSL router (made by Amigo) which I've used since I first got ADSL from Pipex last year (I moved to plusnet after moving house).

I hadn't changed any of the settings (apart from the PPP settings) between pipex and plusnet, and I've since tried various fiddlings with the settings, none of which appear to make that much difference.

I realise there are a lot of variables here - its difficult to lock down as its an intermittent problem, but if anyone has any suggestiions they'd be appreciated. Could it be the router's getting tired (it was VERY cheap...)? Or the network card in Lou's PC? Or have I somehow messed up the NAT settings. One thing I know isn't related is the OS - as I upgraded the HD and did fresh installs of Win2K and Redhat9.

Thanks

Keith
7 REPLIES
N/A

What network card are you using in the system?

Have you applied the MTU tqeak on that machine?

While the MTU issue is supposed to be fixed by now, there are reports by people that 1458 is still getting better reasults.
N/A

I think the network card is a netgear of some description - I'll check which model when I get home.

Thinking about it, I probably haven't done any MTU tweaking on that machine - could that be responsible? I'll check it out tonight and apply the tweaks.

Thanks

K
N/A

Keep to the network card side of things for now.

If it is a FA311 or FA312, I would recomend replacing them to a different make.

I have had issues in the past with them causing issues (the FA312), where speeds where down to a crawl of 0.2kb/s (LAN).

There was a case yesterday of FA311 issues, and a replacment card cured that issue too.
N/A

Right - I'll check. I've got a couple of spare Intel cards, one of which should work. Failing that, I've got some weird old HP 10/100 cards from when HP had developed their own 100Mbit standard - they only run at 10Mbit/s but we don't copy much from machine to machine, so it shouldn't make too much difference.

THanks!

K
N/A

For info: it is an FA-311. I've ran the MTU tweak tool - the settings were at "default" - and will see how it goes. If I still have problems I'll swap out the network card for another.

Thanks!

K
stonechat
Grafter

disconnects

Have you checked the spltters and the phone wiring side as well?

Bob
N/A

Its not an issue with the connection itself - the other machine can quite happily send email, files or whatever.

Having changed the MTU settings etc, its so far, so good...Lou's been using the machine quite a bit this weekend and hasn't had any problems yet.