cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Customer

N/A

Happy Customer

We have just recently bought broadband for home use, and all i can say it is excellent. I bought a nice and cheap £55 Jetway USB ADSL modem, without microfilters, and it worked straight away, no hassle. They said they would take 7-10 days activating my line, and by the seventh day i was activated. No lag at all.

For all of those people who have had problems with their ADSL account, where abouts in the country do you live, i live in stafford and find that my connection is fine with no slowdown.

here are some really good sites that help to start you off:

www.broadband-help.com
www.ispreview.co.uk
www.dslreports.co.uk
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Happy Customer

> We have just recently bought broadband for home use, and all i can say it is excellent. I bought a nice and cheap £55 Jetway USB ADSL modem, without microfilters, and it worked straight away, no hassle. They said they would take 7-10 days activating my line, and by the seventh day i was activated. No lag at all.
>
> For all of those people who have had problems with their ADSL account, where abouts in the country do you live, i live in stafford and find that my connection is fine with no slowdown.
>
> here are some really good sites that help to start you off:
>
> www.broadband-help.com
> www.ispreview.co.uk
> www.dslreports.co.uk
>

Hi.

I live in London. Although my line was also activated on the 7th day, i have not been able to connect with my Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem. I don't use any filters though some, and i say only some, support members have tried to blame that as the reason but as your case shows filters are not crucial. One would have thought that broadband service in the capital would be spared from such problems. Seems as though my monthly contract option may have been a wise choice....

Asim.
N/A

> Hi.
>
> I live in London. Although my line was also activated on the 7th day, i have not been able to connect with my Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem. I don't use any filters though some, and i say only some, support members have tried to blame that as the reason but as your case shows filters are not crucial. One would have thought that broadband service in the capital would be spared from such problems. Seems as though my monthly contract option may have been a wise choice....
>
> Asim.

what i meant to say was that i bought a microfilter seperatly from the intrenet, which was £8.50, you have to have a microfilter in order to convert your normal phoneline into two frequencies, one high frequency (your broadband connection) and one low frequency (phone), the reason you are having problems is because you have not got the filteer to filter out these two frequencies, and thus your connection will not work.

sorry about that.

p.s. because London is such a big place you may have more chance of having a slower connection
N/A

Hi,

I wired up my own BT line from the old stay pluged in the wall cord pulse "bell phone" over to the new touch tone phone system back in 1987 when i'd be 16. BT were charging £60 to convert the "main" house sockets at the time and there was no need for BT to do it. Only a matter of getting the "main" wall socket and connecting 2 out of the old 4 wires.

Your BT phone line the old way it worked was with 4 wires, the new way as of 1986 works with only 2 of the 4 wires, send and receive, green and red. pin 1 and 4. pins 2 and 3 brown/black and yellow which were not connected since i installed my line anyway as they don't get used for normal phone calls.. they are now the wires that BT now supply the DSL from your local exchange on to your home line, the old earthing wires (twisted pair)-
If a BT engineer comes to your house to install DSL, the "main box" has the normal phone socket and a smaller socket for your modem, all they are doing is putting the 2 wires used for phone calls on the big plug and the old earthing wires on the ADSL plug.. then he will play about with his laptop and tell you he is tweaking in the IP stream from the exchange end.. and all for £150... BT ripping ppl off as usual.
Thank goodness for self-install ADSL.. still they (BT) had the cheek to charge £60 for a BT engineer to setup another link at the exchange end.. must have been alot of work connecting the modem his end *sighs* really hard work Wink

The filter really isn't needed to make a DSL connection, i have no filter on this connection right now, but it's needed on the line extensions (filter for every socket with a phone connected) if you are going to have a phone plugged in to make/receive calls in order to kill the "humming" from the modem, which can sometimes be heard while the pc connection is running.
I bought 5 filters at the same price as yourself and only use two for my upstairs and downstairs where i have a phone pluged into the line.

I don't know who told you about frequencies on your BT line.. a BT engineer showing off maybe?!.. with his flashy line testing equipment.
but if you see him again, ask him to get me a "fat pipe" and i'll install it quicker myself asap (during the night) maybe then i won't keep getting dropouts and 6Kb/s max on my Upstream :-|

I live in Glasgow, and the ADSL which was once very fast from April to July is now no better than a 56k on Upstream and a dual ISDN on constant downstream.
And i have a fairly expensive modem (£130 D-LINK DSL-200 capable of 8mb if it were available in UK) and a £2000 P4 2.4 GHz PC, it makes no difference thou.. i didn't get ADSL just to surf webpages.. or download some MP3 files, i could do all that with a 56K modem.. i need a fast constant broadband connection that suffers no drops every 2 seconds.. like it was supposed to be when i signed up for a year contract in April.

Telewest offered me a cable phone and a cable connection to the net around the same time i joined PlusNet ADSL.. for much the same price.. Blueyonder i think they call it.
i choose PlusNet over Telewest cause PlusNet offer great services and have always been good with me as a customer over yhe past two years.

Anyway i've had my ADSl setup a long time now.. just wanted a dig at BT.. Smiley

In my opinion BT = worst company to deal with in the UK. *no replies for me please.. i'm just upset Sad * LOL Smiley
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Forgot to say.... although when i wired the main BT line up myself back in 1987, the main box not an extension box.

I only connected 2 wires pins 1 and 4 b/c thats all that was needed, But BT would have also connected the other 2 to pins 2 and 3, even thou they weren't being used for your phone calls.

Theirfore all 4 wires are totally seperate, and thus if you plug in your modem direct to main wall socket it will still work, as it's using pins 2 and 3 for ADSL (old earth)

And pins 1 and 4 for normal phone, YES if you make a phone call they interfere b/c of the two signals crossing, thats were the filter comes in. but my point is that you don't need a filter to convert any frequencies to make a connection.

look inside the filter.. it's only a simple circut passing the modem to pins 2 and 4 and the phone to pins 1 and 4 for normal phone..
there is also a ferite ring to kill interference and noise.

Please excuse my spelling it's late and i've had a few beers.. it's Saturday night @ 02:22am Smiley

I just want you to know your DSL works alone and anyone telling you that you need a filter to stop interfernce or tune the modem into some special higher frequency is talkin ball**ks!

I should go now b4 i get mad at BT again for halfing the speed of my adsl connection Sad

--
Jason
=====
N/A

BTW most modem cable is only connected to the two centre pins anyway ... pins 2 and 3 like i told you. b/c you don't use pins 1 and 4 for ADSL just pins 2 and 3, so modem cable is only connected to the centre two.

Theirfore it is impossible to interfere with pins 1 and 4 for the phone, unless you plug a phone in aswell.

I'm refering to the main socket, which is wired up different from an extension socket. main socket has big capacitors in them. plus you can't buy main sockets in shops.. BT don't allow it. they only allow you to add extension sockets after thwy have fitted the main wall socket..
So guess i broke the law 15 years ago... Oh Oh!. Smiley

Ok i'm away this time.. cause this thread is now going in a different direction... blame my beer ;-)
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Dear dear i typed alot of garble during the night.
this is due to me being angry with BT.
Sorry i went on so long about the same thing.. if i was able to delete this i would :O

just most adsl users are not very happy at moment.
beer didn't help.

sorry.
--
Jason
=====