cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Bunny

N/A

Happy Bunny

Just a quick thanks to Plusnet,I won the battle of the router,and am quite impressed with my broadband upgrade,you actually move on the webcams now :-) instead of apparently telporting to the other side of the room.I have done your speed test and am sure I will get used to only having a result of 930.30kbps :-) said with tongue in cheek,as I am well impressed with a figure like that I certainly did not expect that after reading about tweaks etc in the forum.

A couple of questions.I wish to attempt to use my Vigor 2200x router/switch (which does not have an ADSL modem in it) to enable to connect my wifes computer to the broadband.How do I go about telling it that I want the information to go straight through it to my broadband modem/router (the one plusnet supplied which only has one ethernet socket)

And are we allowed to both connect to the same account at the same time?

Thanks Plusnet

Ian & Linda Jordan
7 REPLIES
N/A

Happy Bunny

Sounds like you have a very healthy line,
ideal for tweaking Smiley
You also have a very good router designed mainly
to connect directly to ISP's or via an ethernet modem
and I dont think it has the facility to function as a stand alone
switch /hub, have you checked the routers manual or
wan set up interface it should say so there.
I would get a hub these are very cheap,and put
the router to better use.
It's possible to connect the two routers together
as long as you use 2 seperate IP ranges.
I think the Draytek defaults to 192.168.1.1,
if your Plusnet router ( Binatone ?) defaults to
192.168.0.1 then this would be ok and your half way
there, otherwise change the default in the Draytek.
I would use the Draytek's DHCP and firewall functions, this will
give your PC's IP addresses in the 192.168.1.xx range, just ensure
that the subnet mask is the same for both routers.
The gateway for the PC's is the address of the Draytek.
You need to get the Draytek to communicate with the
'Plusnet' and set the 'Gateway' that the Draytek will
use as the IP address of the 'Plusnet' eg 192.168.0.1.
If you bring up the Set up interface of the Draytek in your
browser(assumed 192.168.1.1) look for the section
to connect a modem to the router, I think it's quite simple
just asks for a gateway address and a couple of other details
no mention of ISP's, this is where I would start.
Oh and by the way you both can use the connection,
otherwise it would be very naughty of plusnet to send you
a router. Smiley
Alec.
N/A

Happy Bunny

Thanks Alec.The feedback was appreciated.Actually the process of using the Vigor as a hub/switch proved easier than anticipated,As it turned out it was just a matter of running an ethernet cable from the "uplink" socket of the Vigor to the "LAN" socket of the Solwise SAR130 and away it went; took me by suprise me with the ease with which it happened as I thought I was going to be buried in sorting out DNS etc.

The major problem I think now,and I admit to not even knowing where to start on this one....... is getting the wife laptop (Win XP home) to transmit anything via the ethernet port,and I will openly admit to not having the faintest idea where to start on that one at the moment.The tutorials on the portal seem to be pre XP and seem to me to assume the availability of network cards rather than ethernet,But I have a fortnights holiday and she is working so should keep me out of trouble for a while :-) It is probably very simple when you know how but the complicated looking nature of Windows XP was what prompted me to go for a "Mac" rather than upgrade my old Windows box.

But I suppose this is what is refered to as the joys of computing :-)

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Happy Bunny

That was nice and easy, it sounds like
the uplink bypasses the router bit in the Draytek,
running the command ipconfig/all will give you the
details of the IP address of your pc if you want to make sure.
The way described in the portal would be pretty much
the same as in XP. Just set your wifes PC in the same range
as your PC, use the default gateway and same subnet mask.
Set the PC to allow file and printer sharing and set to never dial
connection.
If your wifes pc has an ethernet port then it probably has a built in
LAN ie same as your ethernet card.
XP has the advantage of the Network set-up wizard you
can go through this and choose the residential gateway option.
Ensure the PC is set to obtain an IP address and dns servers
automatically, which it probably is by default.
You've managed to set up your routers without problems so your
wifes PC will take you all of five minutes to sort Smiley
N/A

Happy Bunny

You've managed to set up your routers without problems so your
wifes PC will take you all of five minutes to sort Smiley

I would'nt say it was without problems,but I must thank the suport guys for their patience especially the one that informed me that what I though was merely the invoice,was in actual fact the instruction sheet,because I could not for the life of me find anywhere to tell the router that it was Plusnet I wished to connect to,and phoned support for help :-(

The first problem I need to overcome with the wifes laptop,is why even thought I have a cable pluged into her ethernet socket and the other plugged into the router it keeps informing me that the network cable is disconnected

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Happy Bunny

Is the LAN port actually activated on the laptop (BIOS or Hardware profile ??)
Are you using a "crossover" cable to connect ? Some laptop LAN cards are not autosensing for crossover cables.
Community Veteran

Happy Bunny

There should be a light on the router to indicate if the cable to the laptop is OK or not. If you are using the wrong cable the light will probably be off, if it is the correct cable it will probably be greed or red.

Is there a light on the ethernet connector on the laptop?

Also does the laptop connect to an office lan? Has it ever connected to the internet via modem maybe? If so changing it may mean that may not work on the office network anymore so be careful.

To check in the PC lan card is recognised, look at Windows Device Manager and see if you see any network devives or PC CARD devices. If it is not recognised you may need to install some software for it.

You might need to configure the lan port and set it to be the default network connection. Try Windows XP New connection wizzard (start -> programs -> accessories -> communications) then when configuring select setup a home or small office network. and follow the instructions from there.
N/A

Happy Bunny

Thanks for the feedback,I did finally track the problem down to my using the wrong cable.But as my setup is being somewhat problematic I have decided to wait till after the festive season and then get a router with enough ports,or get one with wireless operation (I quite like the look of the Netgear) and a card for Linda's laptop,and then pay someone a few quid to set it all up for me,as I feel it is a bit beyond my capabilities.I was able to get the laptop to "see" the router but that was a far as I was able to get,as I was unable to get the laptop to call up Plusnet.So I now the cause of the problem,that everything in the laptop works and is enabled,just needs someone to put in the numbers :-)

Thanks for the help,and seasons greetings

Ian & Linda Jordan