cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW firewall, IX66

N/A

HW firewall, IX66

I am still experiencing problems with my hw firewall and plusnet.

does anyone else have any issues with hardware firewalls?

mine authenticates ok, but i cant send any data out, not even a ping request. however people can ping my router ok..?
tried the router on a friends machine, and it works ok. tried a usb modem on my machine and that also works ok.

what on earth was plusnet's upgrade all about?? i have been down since thursday!!!!
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: HW firewall, IX66

Hi,

The work that we have carried out should not have had any relevance to your firewall configuration.

I'm not that clued about your type of firewall that you have running but I would recommend I'd possible trying to disable the firewall for a few minutes to see if data transfer resumes.

What I just want to re-iterate is that I am not asking for the firewall to be permanently disabled.

Best Regards,

Dave Watson.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

N/A

Thx for the reply dave.
However thats not what you call centre staff said to me yesterday. In fact I have been told to wait until the upgrade at the weekend. Apparently you have quite a few customers with this issue.

I have looked at the spec of the IX66, and i cant find any way of turning the firewall function off.
anyway, if nothing has changed, why has this suddenly started happening?

> Hi,
>
> The work that we have carried out should not have had any relevance to your firewall configuration.
>
> I'm not that clued about your type of firewall that you have running but I would recommend I'd possible trying to disable the firewall for a few minutes to see if data transfer resumes.
>
> What I just want to re-iterate is that I am not asking for the firewall to be permanently disabled.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Dave Watson.
>
> --
> | David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
>
>

N/A

I am also using an IX66 with a Plusnet ADSL account. I had no ADSL service last Friday and Saturday, but it seems to be working correctly again this week.

I did not need to make any changes to the IX66 configuration.

I did notice that the dynamically assigned gateway address was changed during the outage. Have you tried switching it off for 30 mins, and then restarting it? If it still has the wrong gateway address you will not be able to contact anyone else, but they may still be able to ping you.
N/A

I am also using an IX66 with a Plusnet ADSL account. I had no ADSL service last Friday and Saturday, but it seems to be working correctly again this week.

I did not need to make any changes to the IX66 configuration.

I did notice that the dynamically assigned gateway address was changed during the outage. Have you tried switching it off for 30 mins, and then restarting it? If it still has the wrong gateway address you will not be able to contact anyone else, but they may still be able to ping you.
N/A

Had it switched off for quite a while now. Will try it again and see what happens.
Was also thinking about flashing the firmware seen as I am on a fairly old revision.

what version are you running?

did query what default gateway I should be using, but the tech support person i spoke to didnt know the answer!

> I am also using an IX66 with a Plusnet ADSL account. I had no ADSL service last Friday and Saturday, but it seems to be working correctly again this week.
>
> I did not need to make any changes to the IX66 configuration.
>
> I did notice that the dynamically assigned gateway address was changed during the outage. Have you tried switching it off for 30 mins, and then restarting it? If it still has the wrong gateway address you will not be able to contact anyone else, but they may still be able to ping you.
>

N/A

> what version are you running?

V1.23

> did query what default gateway I should be using, but the tech support person i spoke to didnt know the answer!

My working IX66 is reporting the gateway as 212.159.1.105, during the outage it was showing 212.159.1.106. Both of these IP addresses are completely different to the gateway that it previously used 217.41.128.200. I also had a complete loss of service for 7 days in July, when the default router was being set to 217.41.128.201, after seven days, and a lot of calls to Plusnet, the gateway magically returned to .200 and everthing started to work again. (I could not figure out how to manually set the gateway, it was automatically reset each time the IX66 was restarted).

What exactly do you see if you try to ping the Plusnet DNS? - when I had problems with the wrong gateway I saw the following:

ping 212.159.11.150
Reply from 217.41.128.201: Destination net unreachable.

Note that the response was coming back from what it thought was the default gateway.

N/A

> I have looked at the spec of the IX66, and i cant find any way of turning the firewall function off.

I haven't tried this, but I suspect that switching ET1 or ET2 from 'inside' to 'DMZ' or possibly 'outside' might allow you to by-pass the firewall.

Have you found the IX66 Central Forum? You might be able to find someone more able to help you out there: http://ix66.techarena.org/forum/
N/A

Ah. I am on an older version (although cant see how that would make much of a difference).

a get no reply when i ping my default gateway - 212.159.1.105
same thing if I ping the dns server.

their tech support surprises me sometimes.. "can you open a web browser to...."

errrr. no seen as I cant even get to my gateway address Smiley

another weird one :
during the all of the phone calls to tech support, we tired using a bt test account. when u boot the ix66 with these details, you get a different ip / gateway etc.

seemed to authenticate ok, but still couldnt get any ping responses.
switched back to my personal account, got assigned the original ip and gateway, couldnt ping the gateway. however, i could ping the gateway which was assigned when using the bt test account.. weird! if i remember my tcp/ip classes from uni, if you cant get to your default gateway, you are not going to get anywhere!?

anyway.. will try the dmz switch tomorrow and see what happens.

thxs for the info, will let you know what happens Smiley

> > what version are you running?
>
> V1.23
>
>
> > did query what default gateway I should be using, but the tech support person i spoke to didnt know the answer!
>
> My working IX66 is reporting the gateway as 212.159.1.105, during the outage it was showing 212.159.1.106. Both of these IP addresses are completely different to the gateway that it previously used 217.41.128.200. I also had a complete loss of service for 7 days in July, when the default router was being set to 217.41.128.201, after seven days, and a lot of calls to Plusnet, the gateway magically returned to .200 and everthing started to work again. (I could not figure out how to manually set the gateway, it was automatically reset each time the IX66 was restarted).
>
> What exactly do you see if you try to ping the Plusnet DNS? - when I had problems with the wrong gateway I saw the following:
>
> ping 212.159.11.150
> Reply from 217.41.128.201: Destination net unreachable.
>
> Note that the response was coming back from what it thought was the default gateway.
>
>

N/A

You mentioned earlier that you had swapped out the IX66 and tried a USB modem instead. Is it possible that you have not correctly setup your computer's networking again afterwards?

Your IX66 is picking up the same gateway as mine, so I suspect that this config is correct. I don't know how you have your networking setup, but you probably had to change it to use the USB modem. Check the networking on your computer, although the default gateway for the IX66 is correctly pointing to Plusnet's gateway, your computer's gateway address has to be pointing to the 'inside' address of the IX66, not to Plusnet's gateway. (I am guessing that with a USB modem you would have had to point the computer's gateway direct Plusnet's gateway).

Good Luck :-)
N/A

nope. all configured ok. that was the first thing i thought of Smiley

strange - i upgraded the firmware (1.24) and it all works ok now....?

cant see why that is the case though.

I dont know about you, but i noticed a huge speed difference when using the ix66 instead of a usb modem. as soon as i started using the ix66 again, my speed shot up! i was looking at a number of different websites so i dont think it was the sites all suddenly becoming less busy at the same time.

needless to say i am very happy at being back to "proper" adsl speeds Smiley

thx for the help again mate.

JW

> You mentioned earlier that you had swapped out the IX66 and tried a USB modem instead. Is it possible that you have not correctly setup your computer's networking again afterwards?
>
> Your IX66 is picking up the same gateway as mine, so I suspect that this config is correct. I don't know how you have your networking setup, but you probably had to change it to use the USB modem. Check the networking on your computer, although the default gateway for the IX66 is correctly pointing to Plusnet's gateway, your computer's gateway address has to be pointing to the 'inside' address of the IX66, not to Plusnet's gateway. (I am guessing that with a USB modem you would have had to point the computer's gateway direct Plusnet's gateway).
>
> Good Luck :-)
>