cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! cant connect on new PC

N/A

Hi, I have built a new PC. which is great, apart from not being able to get it online.
I have adsl 8mb. Ok, so i install xp Pro on a new HDD, i had xp home on my old pc that i logged in with. and, I installed my drivers for usb modem ( U.S. Robotics), and followed instructions. But, alas, i logged on with my full user name and password, and, the p0,38. And it just keeps dialing out, and its a 7XX error, i forgot what, but its a 700 something. So i ring up cus support, 1 hour and 50 minutes and an answer, someone who really couldnt be bothered to help by the sounds of him, I know it's friday Wink
but comon! anyway, he also gives me the testing@connection.net or something, that failed also.
So, any clues? i REALLLLLY need to get online for my Steam so I can play HL2! Would it also be worth buying the alternative to USB modem? whats it called again? a PCI card thingy. Cos im sick of havin to unplug usb and reinstalled my who modem over, and over, as i juggle between pc's.

PLZZZZ help me! is there a setting im doing wrong?
any one had similar experiences?
is it cos im using xp professional?
is there a way of transferring files or folders or something from old pc to new? would that work?
Thanks for listening
1 REPLY
N/A

The thing that jumps out at me is have you got 2 modems or one?
If you have a modem on each pc you must remove the one thats not working before you can connect with the other one. You cant have 2 adls devices pluged into th eline at the same time even if one isnt in use.

If you want to use 2 pc's you need a router which will let you have both pcs running and connecting at once. You can get one for £30 or less. Or you can connect the pc's via a cross over cable and both use the one modem but you have to have the pc with the modem on for the other to work