cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got 8 meg connection

N/A

Got 8 meg connection

I've just disconnected and reconnected my modem and according to the network status I am now connected at 8.0 Mbps.
I am sure that this is just an anomaly as I am still waiting like most people to get a 2 meg connection (or whatever my line can handle). Anyone else had a similar experience giving false hope to unheard of (in the UK) connection speeds?
14 REPLIES
N/A

Got 8 meg connection

sounds like a glitch lol, mind you, I did try that, got the same speed back,
N/A

Do You Really have 8MB's Ivan

Hi ewington99,

Have you checked your BT exchange to see what services are enabled? If you truely do have 8MB's then you will be the very first person I've come across on Plusnet, Force9, Free-Online to have this?? I suspect this might not be the correct information.

**If you wanted to cross check that speed you could run a speed check test either using the PN speed checker or alternatively DSL Reports tool

URL http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
LiamM
Grafter

Got 8 meg connection

Certainly, if you're on the BT MaxDSL trial, then you will know about it. Otherwise, you certainly wont be on 8Mb.
N/A

Got 8 meg connection

Hi,

I would definately agree with Liam's comments too, unless your on the BT MaxDSL trial your unlikley to really have 8MB's sadly Cry

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Got 8 meg connection

If you disconnect your modem, then you'll probably find your speed goes back to normal. I think BT Wholesale selected all the people they needed for the maxdsl trials. Though i suspose they could expand it to other exchanges to test new equipment etc. I would'nt hold your breath about actually having an 8mb speed.
I've had a USB modem connect at 2mb when in fact i was on a 512k line at the time.
N/A

Got 8 meg connection

would have been nice though..

Imagine it... go to bed, turn off the pc, next day get up and WHAMMO!! 8mb line! nice!
N/A

Got 8 meg connection

Yeah on my old usb modem from time to time it would give me a false read out. Ie 8.mb or even 2.2mb when i was on 1mb
N/A

Got 8 meg connection

I just noticed this news item on adslguide:
http://adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=2245
LiamM
Grafter

Got 8 meg connection

With the extension of the technical component of the trial to 31st August, we would guess that a 2 to 3 month product trial will follow this. Suggesting that the live products may not appear until December 2005.

So Plusnet get more money from people currently paying over the odds for their connection, whilst receiving no better service than those paying £21.99.
N/A

Got 8 meg connection

Product trials would allow people to get onto the service though.

Product trials requires that ISP nominate themselves as a trialist, from which point they can order and provide the products on trial, with them automaticly changing over to the live product when released.

Normaly, the only restrictions on these trials, is a maximum number of daily orders.
N/A

Confusion over 4MB & 8MB's Ivan

Hello,

This ADSL guide article confirms what I have been saying to numerous frustrated & angry users over in the Force9 forums. Some people seem to have convinced themselves that a) they have a right to have 4 or 8MB like NOW!! & are completely perplexed when I explained about the BT trials b) Again told me that No! I was wrong that PN,F9 & FOL definately have a date for this service and when I told them otherwise they got very very upset with me.

I still hold fast to my personal opinion that most ordinary users wont see MaxDSL until after Xmas 2005 and probably more likely the end of March 2006 in reality. And that the only way you might get 4MB's is unless you change service providor to either BullDog or UKOnline.
But I think if your are so keen to change providor, you do so at your own peril as I've yet to hear anyone give praise or offer any positive feedback about BullDog or UKOnline customer service or products.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
madswitcher
Grafter

Got 8 meg connection

Oh I wouldn't say that Ivn2mod.

have you looked at this thread

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28449

I have both running and am well pleased with UKOnline's service - so far that it - churping along here at about 4.8Mbps.

Mike
N/A

Interesting

Hi Mike,

Oh!! well look forwards to the next installment? But its nice to hear that someone IS managing the get the seemingly mythical speeds greater than 2MB's over bog standard copper.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
madswitcher
Grafter

Got 8 meg connection

I would add though Ivan, that it took a bit of tweaking to get a decent speed as you can judge from the diatribe.

I suspect that when MaxDSL ever comes along, there will be a tweaking forum and PN will be inundated with complaints from the 'Not so network savvy' customers who want higher speeds from the copper.

I also agree with your point that we will be very luck to see any major increase in speed before this coming Christmas, which is why I went looking elsewhere.

Happy surfing' y'all

Mike