cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gone Wireless: Now FTP hanging & pages not loading

N/A

Hi,

Since upgrading from the standard usb modem to a wireless router I've had 2 problems - they may or may not be related.

First problem is FTP: uploading files through FTP impossible. I can connect through the to FTP server, view files, delete files, create directories - but I cannot upload any files! It just hangs at 0% uploaded at the first file... (I've tried several FTP clients, and two PC's with the same result. I guess its probably some firewall setting I've missed?

Second is that certain pages refuse to load - the common theme is that they all involve some sort of post command (e.g. Yahoo mail inbox, clicking the post button for this message board, clicking the send button on forums,). It seems to be fairly random, and only happens on certain sites. The only way to fix this is to restart the router - but its pretty annoying having to restart the router everytime you want to read or send an email.

One other thing is that this problem only occurs when I am connected through Plus.net - if I connect using my work VPN (i.e. plusnet connection, but through a work proxyserver) the problem goes away.

The router is a Belkin 802.11g. I have two machines connected through to the network. One running XP, one on Win2K Professional. Both connect through wireless PCI cards.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received! :lol:

Dan
5 REPLIES
N/A

Have you tried Belkins latest firmware
(assumimg thats the correct model)
Failing that try forwarding port 21 (ie start 21 end 21) to
the local address of your pc.
Alec.
N/A

Doubt that it's a firmware thing. If my experience is anything to go by, you'd be lucky to get anything working properly if you hadn't got the update installed.

As far as ftp goes, I use Smartftp. I've had simultaneous sessions open to my cgi and web space for long periods this evening and it's never faltered.
N/A

Try setting your FTP software to passive trransfers (or vice versa if already set). Had this problem when joined PlusNet and that did the trick. It is also mentioned in their help pages.

Also just gone wireless and having problems as keep dropping connection after a few seconds. Any suggestions apreciated.
N/A

Also just gone wireless and having problems as keep dropping connection after a few seconds. Any suggestions apreciated.

I had the same problem at first with a Belkin modem/router and a Linksys pcmcia card in my laptop. Replaced the card with a Belkin and that solved it - just one possibility.
N/A

Problem Fixed!

Well, thanks for the suggestions. But it turns out the solution was MTU tweaking - I'm not tecki enough to know quite what I did but its made an amazing difference to the speed of my connection (as in at least twice as fast!!)

The thread on this board went a little above my head I got information from:
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/MTU and used the drtcp programme to change the MTU (using slightly random numbers until the problem went away)

cheers,

Dan