cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting video and voice to work with Messenger v6

dave47
Dabbler

I'm trying to get MSN Messenger v6 beta to work with video and voice with my ADSL Home Surf account (i.e. P2P blocked account). I've downloaded some information from Microsoft saying that ports 6891 to 6900 should be opened, is this all that needs to happen to get it to work. Has anyone else had success with getting this up and running?

I have a USB Modem supplied by Plus.net last month and I'm running Windows 98, I have no Firewall.
5 REPLIES
N/A

First things first, i'd advise that you download the new msn 6 (i.e. not the beta) as they may have made some changes.
dave47
Dabbler

Messenger

I have the latest preview version of 6 available from messenger.msn.co.uk
N/A

If you don't have a firewall of any kind, then you don't have to worry. However, I'd strongly advise you to acquire a software firewall (such as Zone Alarm or Tiny Personal Firewall) to keep your machine secure when online with an ADSL link. Both the aforementioned programmes are free for personal use (basic versions), and can easily be configured to allow traffic using specific ports through whilst blocking port scans and other crack attempts.
dave47
Dabbler

From the Microsoft documentation I can see ports 5004-65535, 6891,1503 and 3389 should be opened by Plus.Net, is this the case or should it all work without this?
N/A

file transfers and video work fine with me (Netgear DG814 router - latest firmware therefore has uPnP). i havn't tried voice yet. you shouldn't have any problems especially as you're using a modem instead of a router. I have found that sending files to non-MSN 6 users is buggy and often fails but other than that it works.