cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting phone and DSL to work at same time

N/A

I have had ADSL for a month now and cannot get the phone and internet to work at the same time. I have tried every combination of mircofilters possible but nothing appears to work. I have tried different dsl modems to no effect. When I have the modem plugged into the phone socket (doesn't even have to be switched on) no-one can dial in and I can't dial out

Any help / advice appreciated
15 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Try looking at http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9996

Other than that, give PlusNet a call, they are normally very helpful.
Community Veteran

what kind of phone socket do you have that modem plug straight into?

A
N/A

Thanks a lot - I think I'll try and see if I can get everything to work from 1 filter in the master socket
N/A

Thanks a lot - I think I'll try and see if I can get everything to work from 1 filter in the master socket

I can tell you now you won't. You'll need a microfilter on every socket that has a phone..
N/A

Not sure. I think it is just a standard (analogue) phone socket. It is not the master socket though. Sorry I can't be more helpful

John
craigbrass
Grafter

Well try it in the main socket without any other phones plugged in but with filters in all the sockets. That rules out a few things. Post back with what happens.
Alecto
Grafter

It may simply be that your filters are not very good.
The Pn supplied ones get by, but it wasn't till I got some good ones that my phones started performing properly.
I use XF-1e filters which were recommended by the technical people on the forums.
They're not that expensive, and worth a try if nothing else works.

And you need one on every socket that's in use, even Sky.
N/A

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a whizz when I get home tonight and let you know what the outcome is.

I gave Plusnet a call and although they were very helpful they were (not suprisingly) unable to help that much.

If nothing else works I'll get the filters recommended but my old filters did work in the previous house.

Maybe it is just very dodgy wiring ...
N/A

Hi,

Last night I tried the modem in the main socket and had filters in all the other sockets (including sky). Even unplugged the phone and still got an engaged tone when I tried to dial the home number. Frustrating.

Might have to try and upgrade the filters now.
craigbrass
Grafter

Well keep PlusNet informed. Once you have ruled our a few things, they will inform BT. But make sure you do rule out everything PN tell you or there will be a £50 fee.
Alecto
Grafter

But your phone does work OK in and out with no broadband connection plugged in? Sounds a bit too severe not to be a line problem.
craigbrass
Grafter

Erm, but don't BT sort internal wiring problems aswell if that is the case? I thought they did.
N/A

BT will only sort internal wiring, ie south of the master socket for a very large fee.

Not unless the engineer is in a very good mood and you feed them tea and bacon butties Smiley
craigbrass
Grafter

Well they did at my aunts. The guy was there from 1PM til 5PM lol. She knew the engeneer tho which helps and I am sure she kept giving him drinks and feeding him.