cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a router...

N/A

Getting a router...

i have a few questions so plz bear with me.
i'm getting another pc so i need to link my internet to both of them, i currently have the Binatone ADSL500 usb modem and i was planning on getting a router for it.
Questions are:

if i got a router, would i still have to plug my modem into it or does the router replace it completely?

and if i DO need to plug the modem in, do i need a modem for each pc or not and i was told not all routers work with usb modems?

and finally, is there any recommendations on a router, bearing in mind i have a fairly low budget (around £30) as i'm having to buy a new pc too...

i kno theres a lot of questions but i hope some1 could help! Cheesy
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Getting a router...

The best bet would be to get a router modem. These typically have 4 10/100 ports and allow you to connect the two PC's as well. They will however cost more than your £30 - you will also need network cards in both PC's.

If you have network cards in both PC's I think you can use a crossover cale to connect them. Then on the PC with the modem set up ICS - internet connection sharing. This does mean that both PCs ahve to be on to use the internet from the second.

For future proofing the router/modem is a lot safer bet. I use the Netgear DG834 at home and work.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LiamM
Grafter

Getting a router...

and I will also recommend the DG834. I have the wireless variant of that same modem/router.
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

Amazing router prices

Excellent deals at
www.binatone broadband.com
on these & wireless cards.

:?: Does anyone know is there a max on a wireless router as to how
many devices can be connected, besides the 4 by lan cable? :?: