cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Disconcected when the telephone goes!

N/A

I'm getting Disconected everytime someone calls my landline! It used to be fine but now this happens! I replced one of the micro filters the one that connected to the modem! I am running the modem off a fonme extension that has another fone going off it!

Any suggestions?

Muz
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you checked your setup against the ADSL: Wiring and Filters tutorial in case something is not setup correctly.

Is your normal phone also filtered?
N/A

Do you any extensions which aren't filter? Sky Digi Box as they need to be filtered too? an autodial alarm?

Do you get noise on the line at all? i.e. modem noise etc.
(best to use a corded phone for this check, as cordless phones always have some background noise).
N/A

I've also started getting this problem recently - everything has been working fine for about a year, and then all-of-a-sudden phone calls start causing the ADSL connection to go. I have replaced both my microfilters (thinking that might be the problem) but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I think I have everything set up OK, I mean, things have been fine for so long. I don't get any noticeable noise on the phone at all. no burglar alarms or Sky.

I do occasionally use a 56k dial-up modem, which I plug into the "phone" socket on one of the microfilters. not sure if that is the right or wrong thing to do, but I can't see it being an issue. My USB modem (Dynamode A360) is connected to the first-in-line socket in the house. my telephone is connected to the second one. might try it on the first one, see if that makes a difference.

ANy ideas gratefully received.....

paul
N/A

When you get discon's when the phone rings, you need to replace all the filters as it may not be the one to the modem that has gone faulty (once you have ensured that everything that needs filtering is filtered, as per the wiring tutorial.
Secondly, if the modem is on an extension that runs under carpet or even loose on the floor, it can get damaged over time by people walking on it. Replace that as a second step.
Lastly, and this may sound a little silly, if the is a cordless phone very close to the modem, move it further away.
N/A

>> you need to replace all the filters
I have - both the one on my modem, and the one on my phone.

>> if there is a cordless phone very close to the modem, move it further away.
I think it happens even when the phone is downstairs (pc/modem are upstairs). Worth keeping an eye on though.

I'm pretty sure I'm wired up OK, it's been working fine for so long now....
N/A

One thing to watch out for is connecting a 56k modem to the smaller socket on the splitter, instead of using the bigger "telphone" jack - this would cause ADSL disconnects.

Jeff
N/A

One thing to watch out for is connecting a 56k modem to the smaller socket on the splitter, instead of using the bigger "telephone" jack

Nope - using the standard bigger jack - and it's only an occasional thing. Mostly it (the 56k modem) is not even plugged in.

Could this be a line problem ?
N/A

It is possible there is a problem with your local "green box" or even at the exchange.
However, you will have to be 100% sure it is not a fault your side of the master socket before raising a ticket on the "faulty line" possibility. This is because BT can charge £50 if no fault is found.

As a last test, unplug everything (all phones, sky boxes, extensions) and have the modem plugged directly into the master socket, preferably direct if you have an old 56K cable, or via a filter if not..
Start up DSL and start a constant data transfer session, such as Internet radio.
Then get your neighbour or someone to give you a phone call.
If the DSL drops, the chances are it is a line issue.
N/A

As a last test, unplug everything (all phones, sky boxes, extensions) and have the modem plugged directly into the master socket, preferably direct if you have an old 56K cable.

OK, tried this directly into master socket using old 56k cable. Connected to Internet OK, dialed my home number via my mobile and did NOT get disconnected (phone just rang and rang). So this suggests the problem is mine ?

Just two things tho' - not sure if I had a constant stream or not (though in practice I don't think this has mattered in the past when I got disconnected) and also there was no way anybody could "answer" the phone via this method (because there were no phones connected!). Would that make a difference ?

mcalpine2003 - how are you getting on, are you still getting probs ?

anybody from PlusNet out there might have some input ?
N/A

Ok you've not got a line fault.

dialed my home number via my mobile and did NOT get disconnected (phone just rang and rang). So this suggests the problem is mine ?

Do you mean you received ringing tone on the calling line?

I would repeat the above test, substituting the 56K modem with a phone, the phone should ring ok, be clear etc without dropping the DSL connection.

If this is ok move on to the next socket & repeat with another filter/phone.
Carry on testing any further phone sockets this way until it stops working, you should be able to identify the faulty filter, the faulty phone or faulty wiring this way.
I would say it's most likely that you have a faulty filter.

Jeff
N/A

Do you mean you received ringing tone on the calling line?

Yes - I could hear the ringing tone via the mobile (calling phone) but obviously no phone was actually rininging, because there were no phones connected. It didn't seem to interefere with the ADSL, and when I hung up the mobile, everything was still fine.

substitue modem with a phone, the phone should ring ok, be clear etc without dropping the DSL connection

OK, will try and give this a go tonite, or tomorrow. Will start at the master socket first, just the ADSL modem and the phone via a microfilter. Thanks !
N/A

Sorry, been away.

OK, tried this directly into master socket using old 56k cable. Connected to Internet OK, dialed my home number via my mobile and did NOT get disconnected (phone just rang and rang). So this suggests the problem is mine ?

I will rule out the disconnects being caused by faults at the exchange or local distribution box.

So, the process is now one of a process of elimination, exactly as you now plan to do -
1/ DSL filter and modem into master socket (no phone)
call you number and see what happens ( it should not disconnect), then
2/ add a phone and call your number. (If it disconnects, try a diifferent filter, then a different phone)
and so on.
N/A

Am awaiting some new microfilters from ADSL Nation (supposedly super spiffy) - will let you know how it goes (will cop to currently using very cheap ones - very cheap).
N/A

Right, well, now I have spent £19 on 2 ADSL Nation Professional ADSL micro filters (XF-1e) and it has made NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER. I'm still getting line drops when phone calls are made/ received. The ADSL link drops completely (the icon turns blue on the desktop and then gradually re-establishes itself after a few seconds).

This can't be dodgy micro filters - I must have tried about 6 or 7 across 2 sockets. My gear is Dynamode A360 USB ADSL filter and BT Diverse 4016 phone. Two ADSL Nation XF-1e micro filters, which don't seem any better than the 99p eBuyer ones I had also tried. Or the Dynamode ones that came with the modem.

So; any ideas ?