cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

German ISP has blocked Plus.net due to spam and viruses

N/A

All my messages to an address at t-online.de have bounced. t-online.de tell me that Plus.net has been blocked due to them (t-online.de) being swamped by spam and viruses and as a result have had to block all traffic from Plus.net !!!!!

Has anyone ever experienced that sort of thing? It is outrageous. I cannot take the Internet as a serious resource for communication after this incident.

Plus's support will take it up with t-online.de but not until Monday because it is the weekend. In the meantime, all is blocked!! Evil
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Well thats the Germans for you, one customers get a virus, and they ban all e-mails from PlusNet.

[rant]Unfortunately it appears to be a growing trend, that some ISP's will go over the top to protect their subscribers from spam, and block any source of spam with little regard to the legitimate e-mails and customers that it effects.[/rant]

Chilly
johnmglen
Grafter

This is just the beginning, soon the Krauts will declare all UK ISPs their enemy, then all of Europe, then Russia, then they will try to take over the planet.

It's the German way. :lol:
N/A

Rather a racist remark from johnmglen.

I've experienced this type of thing before.
I use Messagelabs to filter spam and check for viruses for my company's mail. From time to time one of their towers accidentally gets blacklisted and mail passing through their system to particular customers or suppliers then gets blocked.

MessageLabs offer a combination of several Anti Spam methodologies. I have found that those systems that rely on databases of known spammers are unreliable (especially where middle and far east servers are concerned) and so I no longer use them - some systems block a server merely because it's been left as an open relay.

I use the MessageLabs Skeptics and Heuristics systems, which give virtually no false positives as they use fingerprinting and scoring techniques. Perhaps T-online are using a rather crude spam blocking techniques based on databases of dodgy mail servers and Plus Net has accidentaly got on one of those lists. Normally the MessageLabs servers get unblocked in 24hours. My knowledge is based on around 100,000 incoming massages a week of which about 95% get blocked as spam.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Unfortunately this happens with too alarming a frequency. A lot of these ISPs either operate or use very unreliable lists that will take just one or sometimes a few reports of spam to cause all mail from an ISP to get blocked. Most ISPs see this happening simply because of the volume of mail that goes through their servers it's next to impossible to stop every single spam email.

They should just be using things like this and lists from SORBS and the like as part of a scoring system for spam but instead they just block all mail.
N/A

I have to say I think these ISPs are missing a trick here. Why not simply unplug their mail servers from the internet, making all mail unroutable, and guaranteeing none of their customers will ever get any spam.
bill
Grafter

T-Online.de is a popular and well respected ISP in Germany.
I have a number of friends with whom I exchange Emails who use T-Online and I have never had one of my Emails to them bounce back. There has been a couple of times recently when I have not received mail from friends at T-Online, but this was because of the Plusnet problems at the time.
I should imagine that T-Online are just as keen as Plusnet to provide a good service for their customers.
Why is my Plusnet mail to T-Online not blocked? Perhaps they only block at critical times and I have just been lucky.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It could be that you've just been lucky or it might be that they've only blocked one or two of our mail servers.

We've two sets of relay servers, one for SMTP and one for webmail/CGI. Could be only one set or even just one individual mail server that's blocked.
N/A

Update: Emails to t-online.de were unblocked last evening (Saturday) after 36 hours. Then they started to block again this afternoon.

I have told my contacts at t-online.de that I will continue business by post (it takes 4 days to Germany) and if that is unacceptable they had better change to another ISP. Fortunatley, I am not trying to sell them anything.

I don't think I can take the Internet seriously after this. Evil
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Unfortunately it just highlights how big a problem spam is and how inadequate and flawed email is. Probably just one person that's received a spam mail from one of our customers but without the right level of spam scoring the whole thing just breaks down for anyone else.
johnmglen
Grafter

Rather a racist remark from johnmglen.

Oh lighten up, racist my back-side.

When exactly did humour give way to nauseatingly PC crud like this?

Do you have a beard perhaps?
N/A

That's quite a beardist remark from you John. Tongue

I have found that having a beard has in no way affected my ability to laugh at the Germans, French or The Brits for that matter.

The only PC'ness in my house is the one I'm typing from Wink

Hey ho...back to the topic....
johnmglen
Grafter

That's quite a beardist remark from you John. Tongue

I have found that having a beard has in no way affected my ability to laugh at the Germans, French or The Brits for that matter.

The only PC'ness in my house is the one I'm typing from Wink

Hey ho...back to the topic....

Haha, nice one mate.

Beardist indeedy :lol: