cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic LLU test?

Simon_M
Grafter

Generic LLU test?

I'm trying to help someone with connection problems on another forum. They are with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange & if you think there are sometimes problems with Plusnet's support service, you should try getting an answer from there!!

He knows he has been upgraded. He can't find out whether it is to MaxDSL or to LLU.

On Plusnet, it's easy to tell, because the LLU gateway is published & anyway PN will tell you with no problem.

Does anyone know of a client side test that would tell this guy whether he is LLU or not? I can't remember what upload speed options LLU has - would the router/modem line stats give it away?

Data rate        8128    288      kbps     

DSLAM (1.5 km) BROADCOM

My guess was that looked like MaxDSL, but maybe basic LLU has an identical rate. I'm not LLU & not likely to be, so I must admit I haven't been paying much attention.
2 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Generic LLU test?

Hi,

The easiest way to tell if you are on IPStream is to try the BT test login

username - bt_test@startup_doamin
password - test

if that connects then it's IPStream, if it doesn't then there's a chance it's Datatream (unlikely on Orange as I don't think they use it, they tried it once and rejected it) but chances are it's LLU.

From the sync speed I'd say LLU because almost every max line has an upstream sync rate of 448kbps, it's rare for a line to sync at less when the downstream is 8Mbps.
Simon_M
Grafter

Generic LLU test?

Thanks, Dave. I'll pass that on.

It tends to confirm his suspicion. Not sure if it helps him solve his connection problems or not, but at least he will know where to start. Am I right that LLU doesn't go through the same training period as MaxDSL & so his connection drops are not likely to stabilize just by waiting?

I'll make sure he knows which ISP helped him out with the info. Smiley

Simon M