cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General modem question about speed

N/A

Well as we are all on "up" to PNs max speed of 8mb/sec, Is there much difference between modems when downloading/uploading files etc on the same line (like for like) and of course assuming no faults on the line etc.
I have a binatone adsl2000 and the max download speed ever achieved was from the Microsoft server at 440kb/sec.
So my question is:- Would I see much difference buying a netgear or belkin etc.......It would be a shame to spend £40 plus just for a few kb/sec more as the binatone is reliable ATM.
12 REPLIES
N/A

I installed a router for a customer last week and her connections speed with the modem was 5 meg. When connecting with the router it was 7 meg. There is sure way of knowing if it will speed it up or not its a case of suck it and see. If you can borrow a router from someone and try it this would give you the idea.
N/A

Thanks, it does seem that the only way to find out is to borrow a modem, as in adverts (for non wireless modems)they don't advertise a sorta 0-60 mph like for cars.

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules]
Community Veteran

Some router/modems handle noise on the line and poor SNR better than others. The problem is finding out which is best, so if you can try before you buy all the better.

There are few things which are in your control which you can try changing to improve your sync speed.

1) Use good quality micro filters, a search on these forum will give some recomendadtions.

2) Move the router to the BT Master socket.

3) Google "ring wire removal", the ring wire picks up interference which reduces your SNR. But as its no longer required it can safely be removed from your telephone extensions.

Chilly
N/A

Some router/modems handle noise on the line and poor SNR better than others. The problem is finding out which is best, so if you can try before you buy all the better.
Chilly

Thanks

What is a good or bad SNR, same for line attenuation?

From modem:-
My SNR goes up and down from about 10 to 14, and LA seems fairly static at 24 for downstream at 5792kbs/sec data rate, interleaved
shellsong
Grafter

If you look at http://www.beforum.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?f=2&m=3875 you will see that at your attenuation you should be able to max out a MaxDSL connection at 8128 Kbps in fact the same attenuation on ADSL2+ has an average synch rate of 16 Mbps and a max of about 19 Mbps

Under the circumstances you would do well to investigate your house phone wiring if you haven't already done so and start by plugging your modem straight into your test socket if your BT master has one and post the relevent stats
N/A

Under the circumstances you would do well to investigate your house phone wiring if you haven't already done so and start by plugging your modem straight into your test socket if your BT master has one and post the relevent stats

Well I have just done the next best thing. i.e. disconnected all phones and plugged a portable telephone extension lead to the master socket to my computer about 40' distance.

Rebooted computer and modem, and the SNR margin is bobbin up and down the same from about 10 to 14, and LA is the same at 24, but the data rate has dropped slightly.

Ermm so maybe the answer is why binatone don't make modems anymore.
shellsong
Grafter

Is the computer socket the BT master or is it just an extension? There are mainly two sorts an older one with a one piece front and the newer split face NTE5 variety-- see http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html for details
N/A

Is the computer socket the BT master or is it just an extension?

Well I'm not sure...........as the telephone line comes (to the house) into about 3" sq box near the roof. One line from this box goes upstairs and the other line goes down to the hall where the master socket housing is.
I added the extension line (around the side of the house) to my computer, by taking the front off the master socket housing (in the hall) and adding the wires. Only num 2 and num 5 wires are connected.
shellsong
Grafter

Hmm, sounds a little involved and a bit hard to envisage! Is the first box similar to either of the ones in the last link I gave you?
N/A

Well I agree as I'm confusing myself as well as you, because there is something else I forgot to mention..... once I had two telephone numbers on the same line (one for a dial up modem), well this has been disconnected at the exchange but the wire is still connected, So I have two extension BT sockets in my computer room one is active one is dead but it might be causing some interference.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
shellsong
Grafter

So strictly speaking the black "junction box" is the master since it's the point at which lines branch off-- the one your computer plugs into isn't a true master because there's a phone extension upstream of it which can inject noise into the line! Ideally that black box would be a NTE5 type master.

If there's a ring wire connected on the bedroom extension, that could be affecting things-- the trouble is determining what wiring belongs to BT because even if you are up to a DIY job you are only legally allowed to mess with non BT wiring and they can charge a sizeable amount to rewire their own dubious handiwork unless it is damaged in some way (know anyone who redecorates with a lump hammer in the region of a black box? :twisted: )

Actually I just reread your previous post and was wondering whether there's a DACS unit on your line that's never been properly decommissioned although I would have thought that ADSL would be impossible in that case-- it might be worth asking BT about the two lines and saying that you are worried that something about it might be messing up your present functional line
N/A

Actually I just reread your previous post and was wondering whether there's a DACS unit on your line that's never been properly decommissioned although I would have thought that ADSL would be impossible in that case-- it might be worth asking BT about the two lines and saying that you are worried that something about it might be messing up your present functional line

Sorry about the confusion, I went out with a torch to confirm a few things.....The extension the BT engineer put in for "twin talk" is perfect for asdl as it goes to the black box (which connects to the telegraph pole) and it's before the master socket.
Well if the black box is not some complicated splitter, all I have to do is switch the wires over...to num 2 and num 5...do you agree or know what's in the black box.?