cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game or Web server

Rigga
Grafter

Game or Web server

Can I run a game or web server from my home computer using the plusnet 512k home broadband package?

R.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Game or Web server

im sure you can yes, not a news server tho and if you set up an ftp server it has to be authenticated (user/pass) as no open servers allowed, so I was told a while back anyways Smiley
Rigga
Grafter

Game or Web server

Thanks for that triaxor, I wonder is that the offical position.

All I want to do is host a small website for friends and family, but one that i can alter frequently, testing out new ideas, and getting feedback quickly without uploading to the plusnet webspace all the time, plus maybe host a game server, again for friends and family, I mean at the upload speeds you get it will probably only support , one other person playing anyway.

If anyone from PlusNet can tell me the offical position it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
R.
N/A

Game or Web server

That would be one slow website
Rigga
Grafter

Game or Web server

Smiley surprisingly, when I have run a website with my old ISP, it's not as bad as you would think.

I mean as long as the web design is fairly minimal, with no flash animations, or large images, then the traffic is negligible., and easily transferred in the 256kbps upstream.

If the website were to get a high number of hits then it would run like a one legged dog, but given the traffic will be very small it will be fine.

I just need to know that I won't be breaking the T's&C's by running a web server or game server on my home machine.

R.
N/A

Game or Web server

well i hope not, im running a webserver Cheesy, mind you, I was given the ok for it as I asked the same questions.. and the answers I gave you were near enough what I got, mind you I am on 2Mb but I dont see the difference would matter imho
Rigga
Grafter

Game or Web server

I guess I'll just go ahead and run my webserver, If I'm not supposed to, then I guess they'll let me know.

Thanks for your responses Triaxor.

R.
michaelscott
Grafter

Game or Web server

I've been running a web, mail and ftp server on my connection for a year now and PlusNet dont seem to mind.
N/A

Game or Web server

As far as running a gameserver, i used to run a regular Dungeon Siege (Seareach UK) server for about a year on Plusnet 512k with up to 8 people connecting with no bandwidth problems which suprised me on the 256k upload bandwidth.

I will be running a Dungeon Siege 2 server when the game is released and i believe it will support more than 8 players which was the original games max so some extra upload bandwidth would be handy.
N/A

Game or Web server

I too have been running a web/ftp server for around a year now with no problems and as you say, providing the site is relatively simple the upload speed is fine.

As far as a gameserver is concerned, I've run an America's Army gameserver on our 2000/288 connection and it handled up to 8 players reasonably well - Considering its quite bandwidth hungry. Any more than that and if the players are a fair distance away (eg. USA) you start getting quite a bit of latency.

Hope this helps.
Rigga
Grafter

Game or Web server

Thanks for all the replies, I've setup my Web server, and have also tried a running a couple of game servers, and all is well.

R.