cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPRS and PlusNet emails

rascom
Grafter

GPRS and PlusNet emails

Just a quickie I'm hoping someone on the forum may be able to help with. I run my own business and am taking a week off next week. Sadly, this still means I have to take some of my computer equipment with me (laptop, printer etc.) to keep in touch if my customers whilst I'm off.

There is only one wireless hotspot where we are going so I can connect in from there if needed but previously I've dialled into PlusNet from my mobile and done emailing that way. Has anyone got experience of using a GPRS dial-up connection (on Orange it it helps) and, if so, did you hit any problems as I'm thinking of getting their GPRS bundle added onto my mobile a/c so I can dial up faster. Just thinking of SMTP authentication etc. as I wouldn't be dialling directly into PlusNet's network to get a valid IP address etc.
6 REPLIES
gothstevek
Dabbler

GPRS and PlusNet emails

I've an Orange phone that I occasionally use to send/receive emails and I find the bundle package is certainly worth it; it saves worrying about how many bytes are being sent each time you access the internet or email.

You'll need the following settings:
Outgoing email server: smtp.orange.net (This stumped me for ages)
Incoming email server: mail.plus.net

SMTP username: username (as you would have on your normal PN settings)

I would hasten to add that I'm using a POP3 account on my phone.

Hope that's of some help.
gothstevek
Dabbler

I forgot to add...

I've experienced problems sending emails to my GF via the phone, namely their filtering systems have bounced back my emails.

I suppose her settings can be altered, but you'll need to be mindful about this trait when using your phone.

Steve
LiamM
Grafter

GPRS and PlusNet emails

For security reasons, most ISP SMTP servers will be restricted to sending mail, only whilst you are connected to them.

If you use GPRS, you will need to use your phone providers SMTP server. I use O2, so that smtp.o2.co.uk.
Grff
Grafter

GPRS and PlusNet emails

I had bother getting this to work for ages on my SPV C500, I could send mail through my plusnet but not send them. I tried using smtp.orange.net as the outgoing smtp connection but that still didn't work, even though i was connecting to "Orange GPRS".

If you take a look at:
http://setup.orange.co.uk/myPhone/email/3phone.asp?countryId=36
you should be able to get orange to send you the correct settings to you and have it configure your phone. They sent me another GPRS connection "PlusNet( Orange) GPRS". This was used instead of the original one, and when I created my e-mail profile on the phone, all was working as it should.

Hope this is of some help.
N/A

GPRS and PlusNet emails

I can pick up mail on my C500 via IMAP and POP3 fine.
N/A

GPRS and PlusNet emails

Don't know where you're off to on hols but I've never got GPRS to work abroad. Even in Ireland where there is definitely GPRS and it seemed to connect, it never actually worked in terms of getting any data and Orange were unable to do anything to help.