cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.dmt or Automatic, ITU G.dmt or lite preferred which 1?

N/A

umm hey all Smiley i am abit confused when i purshed my adsl i got the adsl conexant modem and a sheet explaining how to set it up and on settings it says use modulation: G.dmt but when i look on the website it says Automatic, ITU G.dmt or lite preferred so umm please help hehe thx
6 REPLIES
N/A

I beleive most work, however, automatic or G.DMT are the best settings.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mine always worked best on ANSI, but BT decided to fix my exchange and now it works best under ITU G.dmt or lite.

try each and fine out which gives a connection, then find out which is the most stable connection.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

kk thx for help i got another question hehe umm its about DNS could some1 use simple terms and explain what DNS is and is it better to enter the Plusnet DNS ips or let it be done automatically Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

automatic does unless you have a network then better to specify on the gateway PC.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

DNS stands for Domain Name Server.

A DNS server has the job of translating your humle domain/host name into a IP address.

EG, it coverts www.plus.net into the IP address 212.59.8.137

It is used for other means including working out what computer system on the internet is responsible for collecting, sorting and storing e-mail. It does this using the bit after the @ sign.

These days, IP addresses are not enough to browser allmost 90% of the websites available on the internet. This is because many names, all point to one IP address, and the server that has the web-pages on, sends the information, based on the name you visited.

That is a more comlex matter, but it gives you an insight into why DNS is so important and why machines could allmost not live without it.

Due to the fact computer systems use domain names so much, the information must be available very quickly. Just as with snail mail, the further the destination is away, the longer it takes to get there. While millions of times quicker, even a fraction of a second delay in your request for DNS information, can leave you waiting a lot longer (the phonomenom is known as sods law)

Normaly, each internet provider has there own customer DNS servers, so that requests only have to travel to your ISP to get information, see as your ISP is allmost allways the second link in the chain.

PlusNet provide two sets of DNS server, however, don't let this confuse you over which ones to use.

When you make your connection to PlusNet over ADSL or Dial-up, information is send to you by there systems that accept your connection. These include the IP address you are being assigned, other information related to the connection, and the default DNS servers.

This means that you do not need to make any configuration changes as the information is provided for you automagicaly.

For Dial-up customers, the dial-up DNS servers are sent, and for ADSL, the ADSL DNS addresses are sent.

If you so wish to use your own list of DNS server, so be it, however, they will only likely provide a slower internet experiance.

* For the record, PlusNet provide two sets of servers due to the differance in locations at which the incoming ADSL and dial-up connections are made.

Dial-up DNS servers are located on a part of the network that allows them fast access, while the ADSL ones are in another location, such that it is fast for them too.
N/A

hehe thx for the help Smiley