cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Further to my speed problems....

flicker
Grafter

I have been seeking some help on another forum I belong to. Now I'm not sure whether this is related to the speed issues or not, but anyhow, would appreciate some advice about this. Namely, we went into my ADSL router settings page last night to see what was happening. On the section which shows Downstream/Upstream/Loss of Signal/Errored Seconds I got this for Downstream

Loss of Signal 31
Error Seconds 220
Start up Attempts 32
Data Rate 2272

Upstream

Loss - 31
Error - 34

So today, once my speed is back to normal, I have been trying again. Loss of signal was Zero, Error Seconds was Zero, Start up Attempts was Zero. UNTIL - I MADE A PHONE CALL!

I than sat with my phone and watched, and every time I pressed my phone to make a call, I immediately got a loss of signal. I tried this with both my phones, same difference. I tried disconnecting the extension, same thing. I did it 15 times in all, and every time I went to make a phone call, it made me lose my broadband signal, although on my pc, it still showed the connected icon, and said I was Connected, speed 11.0Mpbs, strength Excellent.

Please could someone let me know if any of this is relevant, and if so, does it mean (a) there is a fault with my broadband in that its not allowing phone calls and my internet connection (b) it's my wireless router (c) it's the ADSL signal splitter at fault (its a BT MF50) and if it's this item, why should it suddenly be happening?

The only thing is at night, I don't make or receive phone calls very often, so this wouldn't be the cause, but I do have a Sky+ box plugged into the system. But again, this problem has only just started this past two weeks, and I've had the box for about 6 months with no problem, and haven't changed anything around

Any help please or comments?
15 REPLIES
flicker
Grafter

So 23 people have looked at this thread and nobody has any ideas as to what my problem is? Surely it isnt that unusual is it? Sad
carrot63
Grafter

I have a similar problem, bit I use the phone relatively rarely, so I havent really looked at the cause. I'd swear I didnt have the problem on a fixed 1Mb service, or when I was Maxed, it seems to have crept in since I was put on LLU, although that may just be my extreme LLu prejudice.

I have a phone + the router on an extension, + one other phone direct to the master socket. Both phones cause a loss of sync, although its not every single time, and recently its become less of a problem, although speed slows even if sync doesnt drop during a call. Oddly my alarm system phoning in for a systems check dosnt seem to cause problems.

The obvious thing to try first is the filter, and plugging directly into the master socket with no other equipment connected, then try calling yourself.

I've seen this problem mentioned elsewhere in the past, and while its probably something on your part of the line, it could be between you and the exchange, in which case its time to call BT.
flicker
Grafter

Thanks for replying. Okay I just had only my router plugged into direct to the master bt socket via the ADSL filter obviously. No other equipment whatsoever plugged in (no phones, no Sky box, no extension) I phoned my number using my mobile phone, and immediately got the disconnect/loss of signal show up on my wireless settings page. Any help with what conclusion can be drawn from this?
Isitme
Grafter

The obvious thing to try first is the filter, and plugging directly into the master socket with no other equipment connected, then try calling yourself.

Just to add to this, if you can borrow a working filter from a friend and try it, this would confirm/eliminate a filter problem. They can and do fail and your symptoms suggest that this is the probable cause.

I think the connection speed you are seeing, 11.0Mpbs, maybe the speed between your PC and the router and not your net connection.
carrot63
Grafter

As tomdonoghue says, you should try replacing the filter with a new/borrowed good quality one. I cant see how the router/router cable could be the problem, but if you can borrow a one from a friend to would rule out the last element of 'your' side of the line. After that it would seem to the a BT problem.
flicker
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I will buy a new one tomorrow, I haven't got any friends locally with broadband to try their filters, the only one I know with bb has Orange which has a different set up Should I go for something specific, ie expensive is best? The one I have now is a bt one, was about £4.99 I think. :?: I will have to buy from Comet/PC World or Currys no other choices here.
geoffers
Grafter

If you've got the modern NTE5 bt socket, where you can remove the lower half, it's really worth getting a filter faceplate which replaces the one which comes as standard. This has a separate Adsl & Phone socket on the faceplate, with the filter built in. I got mine from Solwise http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm for £11.95 & it arrived the following day - my connections have been far better since this fix Cheesy ...
flicker
Grafter

Thanks for that, looks like it could be a good idea, but are they easy to wire up? I do have a modern socket, I had a new line installed here with the box about 3 years ago now.
Isitme
Grafter

Fitting is fairly easy, provided you follow the instructions. You can read more about fitting the unit HERE It is definately worthwhile as it dispenses with all the other filters.
geoffers
Grafter

There's no rewiring required for the faceplate, just unscrew the old one & replace with the new one.
If you have extensions wired in the house, you would remove the wires from the back of the existing faceplate, and wire them into the back of the new one using a litte gadget (you can get it from B&Q etc) which just presses the wires into the terminals - no need to strip any insulation as the terminals are like little blades, which cut thru the insulation & make the contact automatically.
They suggest NOT trying to press the wires in with a screwdriver, as this can bend the blade contacts so you won't get a good connection.
carrot63
Grafter

I mentioned in my earlier post that I had a feeling my problem with sync/download speed when using the phone was related to LLU, well it turns out it was. I was finally moved back from LLU to BT yesterday, and the problem has totally disappeared.

On Tiscali LLU, if I started a speed test or download and picked up the phone, speed would drop instantly to a tiny fraction of dialup speed. If I carried on a conversation longer than a minute or so, I would probably lose sync. If the conversation was longer than 20 minutes, the router would require a reboot.

Back on Max and the speed checker doesnt even miss a beat, no loss of sync etc. Nothing at all has been changed or moved on my setup at home since the transfer, yet the problem has disappeared.

Given that LLU uses a target SNR of 12db rather than BT's 6db, this seems especially strange. Either there is some specific problem with my LLu connection that doesnt exist on BTw, or Tiscali's LLU implementation is very seriously flawed. Given that I was effectively back on a dialup connection for 4 months with regard to simultaneous ADSL/phone use and the only change to my line was LLu, I know which explanation I tend to believe.
Isitme
Grafter

A quick search for 'LLU problems' will reveal that you are not alone with this and that the problems are not limited to Tiscali. Maybe LLU is being rushed out without being fully ready in the areas where it has been implemented. Anyway it is good to know your particular problem has been resolved. However I would still recommend fitting an ADSL faceplate, it will bypass any future problems that may develop in your phones or extensions and may improve your connection further.
carrot63
Grafter

I hadnt realised it was widespread, but somehow I really am not surprised. Come on, how poor is that??

I'm going to fit a faceplate and twisted pair extension in the new year, as I get about 700kbps better sync at the master socket in any case.
shellsong
Grafter

I dare say a search for "BT broadband problems" would turn up rather a lot but that aside I suspect that the implementation of LLU technologies varies wildly!