cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Further explanation needed on BT Speed Checker

N/A

Hi,

I have placed a regrade order to move my account from Premier Option 1 to Option 2, to get a higher allowance for downloads and stop being restricted when my usage reaches the maximum allowed (4 heavy Internet users in my house).

At this stage, my telephone line hasn't been upgraded to the DSLMax standard and I'm still stuck at 512kbps.

Here's a message received this morning from support:

"The following result was returned by BT Speed Checker for CLI number 02890868858:
Speed: 1000"

Does this mean anything in relation to the future speed I can hope for (in which case 1Mbps could be a ball-park number)? According to the calculators used to date, I should end up with anything from 1.2 to 2.8 Mbps (I know it's only an indication and the true speed will only be known once the 10-day optimisation period is complete after the line upgrade).

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Are your downstream stats still the same as you published on the forum last year-- ie attenuation 63dB, SNR 13dB?

Also have you done as much as you can to boost the SNR-- see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Note: I gather the ringwire tip can be very effective and some routers are better than others when it comes to improving SNR although with that sort of attenuation you're not likely to get much improvement
N/A

Thanks for your response.

My line parameters now are 63 db attenuation (I have to assume this hasn't moved over the past few months but my new router doesn't go as far as displaying this parameter). Download SNR is anything between 16db and 18db, pretty much optimised for my line.

There is so much conflicting information around that I simply can't figure out if the upgrade to DSLMax will meaningfully improve my performance levels or not.

Rgds
N/A

I wish people would answer how I check the line for attenuation and db's and whatever....I tried the link no good, modem not on it. I have a US Robotics USB modem. any ideas?
shellsong
Grafter

@joffroy

With that sort of SNR you should be able to get somewhere between 2 and 4 times your present speed if you're lucky
Soapy
Grafter

I have just changed to max Dsl. I was sync'ing at about 3000, but yesterday I disconnected the bell/ring wire, and immediately sync'ed at 3770, and have remained at that since, even after numerous reconnects.

Stephen.
N/A

I was MaxDsl on the 5/5/06 and though promised plus did not email me to inform me. The line still sitting 1889 down an 374 up. This not change. My stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13 db upstream4 db
Noise Margin 19 db 23 db