cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny sound on the phone when online

N/A

WHen im on the internet, the phone starts making funny noises, it is still possible to make calls but I get that weird internet noise in the background.
IM not using the microfilters ( phone splitter things) given to me with the modem becuase there is only one socket I can use as the other is is to small. Could this be the problem? Or is it normal to hear this noise?
3 REPLIES
N/A

The fact you are not using the micro-filters is the problem.

These filters are designed to keep the DSL line and the voice seperate, so each does not affect the other.

In this case, the DSL noise is not filtered, causing you to hear it.
Community Veteran

Not using filters will also mean your ADSL link may disconnect when someone is on the phone or an incoming call is received.

All phones, faxes, sky boxes and 56k modems must be connected via an ADSL filter/splitter for correct operation of ALL equipment.
pcorker
Grafter

Are you using an ordinary splitter to connect computer and phone simultaneously?
If so, just plug the filter into one of it's sockets and the phone into the filter leaving the internet line unfiltered and the little socket unused.
If not, you will have to describe your setup with plug sizes, splitters (2/3 big sockets) and splitter-filters (one big and one small socket.)
Pat