cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnection

N/A

Frequent disconnection

I have been complaining last week to technical support about the frequent daily disconnection, of my dsl account.
I would like to know whether it is a line problem or
whether others also are experiencing the same,
whether the line gets disconnected if idle for a long period.
Yesterday I tested by keeping the connection on the whole night. It was working in the morning.(7.00)
However after I used it for twenty minutes it went off and I was only able to get online at 2.30.p.m.
Please clarify! Thanks!
Jude
69 REPLIES
N/A

Frequent disconnection

Have you tried turning your connection equipment off overnight, and then using it during the day, to see if it is not this?
N/A

Frequent disconnection

Connexant chipset based internal pci modems don't like windows xp. It is scandalous that so many people have this problem, and there seems to be no fix other than to bin it.
LastRoMan
Grafter

Frequent disconnection

If I may 'but' in here - as I have these same sort of problems from time to time. Although oddly no problems for over 6 months - I think they started when I upgraded to XP Cry Damn that Microsoft hype.

As I am dextrously challenged - is it possible to buy an external ADSL modem and connect it to/through my PC without removing the old Dabbs/ Connexant PCI modem? :?:

Also how do I do a Whoosh test - or get one done to check the clarity of my line please? :?:

Thanks
N/A

Frequent disconnection

There are two ways to have an external modem.

1: Purchase a USB model. Not the best choice, as these take more power than the PCI variations.

2: Ethernet modem. The best IMHO. They are future proof in terms of connecting to devices, and usualy provide the best speeds, though this requires a network card in your system.

As for doing a whoosh test. Use the contact us system to request one, and it will be done.
Community Veteran

Frequent disconnection

Oh well.. I have exactly the same problems... sometimes I just restart tht computer and find that my connection constantly drops. I reported the problem to customer support, (big long ticket) and was told...
Dear Customer,

Clearly this is a problem related to Microsoft's products so there is little we can do to assist, other than point you in the direction of Microsoft's support site, our forums/newsgroups and www.adslguide.org where you might be able to find help for this unusual problem. Try reinstalling XP if all else fails.

Regards,
Support

It's obviously not that unusual after all...

Thomas
N/A

Frequent disconnection

Conexant chipset pci modems disconnecting unusual? - hahahahahaha!! You are joking surely. Search the adslguide forums - loads of people have this problem.

Do what I did - throw it in the bin and buy an external modem instead.
N/A

Frequent disconnection

it's nothing to do with win.xp or your modem quality etc.it's to do with isp's
oversubscribing their lines and disconnecting users when idle.buy a program called 'stay connected v4.01'.
Community Veteran

Frequent disconnection

Aleca, what you say certainly wouldn't apply to me... I'm hardly ever idle on my connection at all!

Thomas
N/A

Frequent disconnection

my guess is that during peak hours,high demand forces the isp's to reduce the idle time before they disconnect someone this might even be a few minutes.when demand is too high then people cant get online. i read all the advice about changing to a pci card or usb modem and using a better cable etc but this solution worked best for me ,although its not perfect and i still get disconnected but not nearly as much.
N/A

Frequent disconnection

it's nothing to do with win.xp or your modem quality etc.it's to do with isp's
oversubscribing their lines and disconnecting users when idle.buy a program called 'stay connected v4.01'.

Aleca, sorry but that is plain wrong. The ISP has nothing whatsoever to do with your connection between your home and the telephone exchange. Your modem synchronises with the line card in the exchange. One line card per telephone line. If sync is lost then it is not the ISP's responsibility at this point, BT wholesale look after the exchange and manage the contention ration, DSLAMS etc. Your ISP only comes into the equation once BT have routed the IP traffic across it's network to your ISP. This is not dial-up, your ISP has know mechanism to un-sync your modem from the DSLAM, even if they could it is not as though anyone else could use it as it is hard wired to your phone line. You share bandwidth on a 50:1 or 20:1 contention ratio, so in busy times you may see slow down but you wont see line drops - this isn't dial up
Community Veteran

Frequent disconnection

PlusNet can actually disconnect users at the redback on thier side, but this is a manual process and wouldn't be practical to do at 'busy times'.

ISPs buy a certain amount of bandwidth so having a lot user idle users generally doesnt make any difference as ADSL doesn't work on a per port basis when it comes to sharing this.
As already pointed out it works on bandwidth contention.

Chris
N/A

Frequent disconnection

if its not the isp ,then it must be bt.my neighbour uses bt openworld and never has these problems(others in this forum have also noticed this) the line does'nt disconnect and never slows down.the specifications are the same a 50:1 contention, but surfing 'appears' much faster especially when using 2 0r 3 programs at once and my computer is faster and better spec'd.plusnet should take up the issue with bt .its a common problem.
N/A

Frequent disconnection

I have an external usb modem, have had it since day one and i used to be plagued with line faults especially the sync, it would drop out on an intermitant basis.
Sometimes it would bo ok for about 5-7 hours another time only 30 min-1 hour. Having got up +nets nose complaining about it and inumerable tickets no solution was found (not from +net not trying).

This continued for some time defying all efforts to cure it, then suddenly the power supply in the comp packed up. after installing a new p/s the bloody modem has worked perfectly since, not one drop out or sync problem. Bearing in mind the usb modem wasand still is connected via a 4 port powered hub a duff p/s should not have caused the problem, but it must have been that.

So look carefully at everything before you discount it, cause you never know what is going to pop up and bite you is the arse.
N/A

Frequent disconnection

power supply is probably a factor. bt's conexant 'the frog' usb modem is said
to draw a large amount of power from source which may account for it's
'staying power' compared to the puny thing plusnet supplied me.I was too looking into getting a better modem or using a hub to power it .judging from what the more knowledgable of you folks have said the problem might lie with the amount of available bandwidth plusnet have ,for a given amount of people.
thats enough from me.good luck.