cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free speed upgrades and Exchange speeds etc.

iPaqowner
Grafter

Is it only PN that are giving their customers free speed upgrades or are all ISPs doing it as the exchanges are upgraded?

As part of the regrade do you get 1meg if you are on 512K, 2meg if you're on 1meg, 4meg if you're on 2meg etc? or do you get as fast a speed as your exchange/line allows?

I was on the 512K Premier account and noticed my Netgear router was showing 1152mbs downstream although speed tests still indicated I was still on 512K......as a result of another post by me on this forum a member suggested I call PN and ask them to "Unthrottle" my connection.......I raised a ticket and PN replied saying they had now doubled my speed and suggested I disconnect and reconnect to get the speed increase, this I did and found to my great joy I am now on 1meg......but can I get 2meg? with no increase in my monthly payment?
I would be grateful if someone in the know could answer these queries please.
6 REPLIES
iPaqowner
Grafter

Re: Free speed upgrades and Exchange speeds etc.

As part of the regrade do you get 1meg if you are on 512K, 2meg if you're on 1meg, 4meg if you're on 2meg etc? or do you get as fast a speed as your exchange/line allows?
I'm on the Premier 21.49 account.

Anyone?
N/A

I gather, and please correct me if I am wrong anyone?

The way it works is that you will get a free upgrade to your fastest speed, if that speed is covered by whatever plan you are paying for.

So for example. I am on Broadband Plus paying £14.99 a month which is up to 2mb up until now I have only been getting 512k for my money. I got home last night, checked my router, rebooted it and hey presto 2mb download speeds. However if testing had shown that I could only get 1mb or 512k then that would have been all I would have got.

If potentially I could have got say 4mb I would have expected to have to get Plusnet to upgrade my package or stay on 2mb which is the current price cap.

So if you are only getting 1mb then it is reasonable to assume that is all you can get until further work is done by BT to resolve this.
iPaqowner
Grafter

Just got a response to my ticket from PN.
"We have done a check with your phone number and the result shows that your local exchange (Strathaven) can only provide a 1mb service"
So I will just have to wait.
Thanks for your reply.

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Full quote of post directly preceding this one removed as it's unnecessary]
N/A

Sorry to hear you only have got 1mb, shame, although I am not too sure how much better 2mb is over 1mb in real terms.

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Full quote of post directly preceding this one removed as it's unnecessary]
N/A

I too have just been upgraded to 1Mb. Could this account for the frequent disconnects that I am now experiencing?

From all the posts over the last few days I'm glad 2Mb is not an option.
N/A

These upgrades seem to have got lost haven't they. Glad I downgraded when I did instead of waiting. The exchange in theory was upgraded in July but no speed upgrade.