cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Upgrades in April

firmager
Grafter

Free Upgrades in April

At the minute I'm on Broadband Plus 2mb and wanted to know if I will benefit from the free upgrade to 8mb connection speed in April in my area. Does anyone know anywhere I'll be able to check?!

Or will I have till later on in the year before I will be able to access this connection speed?!
22 REPLIES
N/A

Free Upgrades in April

N/A

Free Upgrades in April

^ doesnt tell you Wink

You wont know until april. WIther it starts in april or if bt plan to have a significant amount of excahnges upgraded is another question we cant really be sure of.
firmager
Grafter

Free Upgrades in April

I just looked at your signature, and 24mb broadband is no big thing, they already have it all over france and sweden, cos my friend in france has a 24mb connection its awesome lol

And in Japan i hear connection speeds are nearing some phenominal like 1gig connections but i'm not too sure, would be amazing tho!!!

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the rules]
firmager
Grafter

Free Upgrades in April

^ doesnt tell you Wink

You wont know until april. WIther it starts in april or if bt plan to have a significant amount of excahnges upgraded is another question we cant really be sure of.

Good News!

This exchange can provide you with PlusNet up to 2Mb broadband!
A date for up to 8Mb broadband has not yet been planned.

If a date has not yet been planned, how is this good news?!?!?!
tex
Grafter

Free Upgrades in April

If a date has not yet been planned, how is this good news?!?!?!

Because we know the upgrade will happen this year around August.

I just looked at your signature, and 24mb broadband is no big thing, they already have it all over france and sweden, cos my friend in france has a 24mb connection its awesome lol

And in Japan i hear connection speeds are nearing some phenominal like 1gig connections but i'm not too sure, would be amazing tho!!!

1 gig! Shocked You must be joking! If you read about this on awebsite, could you link to it beacause I really want to see. This does ask the question, what's to come after LLU? It'd be awesome if PlusNet started offering OC-48+ internet with speeds of 2gb and above. It's not likely so don't get your hopes up Tongue
N/A

Free Upgrades in April

I have heard of Korea and Japan having 50 & 100 Mbps Services, especially good things I heard of the Korean one is that if you get a service advertised as x speed they legally have to provide you that pipe, crap like FUP's etc are legally not allowed there apparently.

As for what comes next well it is unlikly coper will exceed 24Mbps, even that tails off over distance very quickly from what I have read example:

ADSL2 offers 12 Mbps to users within 1.5 kilometres but ADSL-equivalent (256/64 kbps) speeds out to 5.5 kilometres. ADSL2+ (expected to be available in Australia next year) offers 24 Mbps to those within 1.5 kilometres of an exchange, ADSL2-equivalent speeds out to 2.5 kilometres and ADSL-equivalent speeds out to 6.5 kilometres. ADSL2/2+ also has higher error tolerance and better network diagnostics than ADSL. It can also adjust the data transfer rate to allow for changing conditions, reducing the likelihood of dropouts.

Which shows copper is reaching its limit with these services, unfortunately the UK is then kind of stuck as there is not yet any plans I know of to roll out the required fibre optic infrastructure direct to end users which would be needed to exceed these sort of levels which is really pathetic in the grand scale of things.
N/A

Free Upgrades in April

japan has 1gigabit to the home over the power lines
sweeden has 100mbit to the home using "FTTH" (fiber to the home)
aus has ADSL2+ 24mbit down a phoneline

so 8mbit here is well, lame
N/A

Free Upgrades in April

lame, agreed.

I moved house and can only get 512k, within limits for 1mb, just but BT wouldn't do it.

What does the future hold for speed upgrades if any for people in my situation?
N/A

Free Upgrades in April

Enlighten us all, and inform us what you, buzzons, would do with a 100Mb connection, that you won't be able to do with 8Mb. REALLY curious here.

My friend on Bulldog 8Mb can stream HD videos instantly.
tex
Grafter

Free Upgrades in April

Enlighten us all, and inform us what you, buzzons, would do with a 100Mb connection, that you won't be able to do with 8Mb. REALLY curious here.

There are loads of factors of why we should have faster speeds - downloading and web browsing are two obvious ones. I really think the UK should invest in new technologies like fibre optics.
N/A

Free Upgrades in April

For those that haven't been paying attention BT's 21CN project to replace all exchanges with multi-service IP network hardware is currently under way and should be completed nation wide by 2009. One of the options once it's in place is fibre to the home (currently being trialed).

What to do with 100Meg? 8Mbit MAY be fast enough to stream HD video, but what if you want to download said video to a portable device? You realy want to wait that long for it to finish? How about backing your PC up off site? Even at 100M a 120G disk is going to take near 3 hours while the weedy up chanel of ADSL would take 15 days to do the same job. Don't forget that if you create capacity someone will find new ways of using it.
N/A

Free Upgrades in April

That is of course the real point, there are many services which could use it, and many more which don't yet exist because of the lack of such things, once the technology is available new services will begin to appear in order to utilise this to best effect.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran

Free Upgrades in April

Yes its just like motorways. No matter how many lanes wide they make them they get instantly filled with more traffic. :roll:
tex
Grafter

Free Upgrades in April

Yes, also, PlusNet reports that its users consume 10gb of bandwidth on average. On a 2mb connection, a user typically waits around an hour and a half - just waiting for the page to load or the download to complete. That's not to mention the packet factor loss, the non-consistent speed, the brower client handling and the users computer speed - this could add an extra 2/3 hours if not more. I hope that puts things into perspective.