cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Speed upgrade?

N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

Hi,

Just got an email about a free speed upgrade..

My product is not listed, im on ADSL Home Self-Install (Monthly Contract) - USB Starter Pack so will i be entitled to a free speed upgrade?

and will this put the price of my monthly charge up?

How fast can i go? (ignoring line limits for a minit as im moving I can currently get no more than a meg. but if if i move i may be able to get more..)

should i wait untill i move? i mean i dont want to do 1meg now if i can prehaps do 2 meg? or can i change it later?

Many thanks

Andy
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Free Speed upgrade?

All lines will be upped to whatever the maximum speed they can support, this will be an automatic thing from BT / PlusNet and it will be free. Your monthly costs will not increase.

Chris
N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

Ok,

So assuming i dont move before this upgrade takes place.

I know at my present address i can only go as far as 1 meg.

now when i do move and do my cease and reprovide will i be reprovided at 1meg or the maximum the new line will support?

Thanks
community
Grafter

Free Speed upgrade?

All lines will be upped to whatever the maximum speed they can support, this will be an automatic thing from BT / PlusNet and it will be free. Your monthly costs will not increase.

Chris

Sorry for my ignorance but what is meant by "whatever the maximum speed they can support"?
cheers
Eddie
N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

Chris

Sorry for my ignorance but what is meant by "whatever the maximum speed they can support"?
cheers
Eddie

Each UK line will vary from what speed they can support, the closer to your exchange the faster the speed it will handle, this is the length of the cable to the exchange, not as the crow flys distance.
Community Veteran

Free Speed upgrade?

So assuming i dont move before this upgrade takes place.

I know at my present address i can only go as far as 1 meg.

now when i do move and do my cease and reprovide will i be reprovided at 1meg or the maximum the new line will support?

Thanks

The maximum your new line (and exchange) will support. Any new lines will be provisioned on MaxDSL.
N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

its still not clear....if you could get 8mb will that be your speed on a 512 subscription...i dont get this repeated phrase abou what your line is capable of....
N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

Well in april some lines will be able to have 512k up to 8mb. So if your line can surport 8mb you will get this.
Community Veteran

Free Speed upgrade?

Plusnet will be changing your connection to the exchange from a fixed speed to what's called a MaxDSL speed connection. MaxDSL allows the ISP (and thus you) to select the best speed that your line can handle. PlusNet are doing this upgrade for free and once it happens, you can select the maximum speed your line will handle for the same cost you are paying now. PlusNet, from April, will be charging you for your data not you speed. They are also introducing a fair usage on your account and what you pay now will determin what the limits are.

All telephones lines have different qualities and are different distances from your local exchange. The distance and quality of your line determins the maximum ADSL speed it will support reliably.

The quality of your line (refered to as line loss or attenuation) is measured in Decibels (dB) and each line has a particular dB value. The dB value determins what speed BT will currently allow on the line: If your dB level is >60dB, only a 512K connection is possible. If it's between 43dB and 60dB only 1Mb is possible, below 43db, 2Mb and higher is possible. The lower the dB value the better the line is.

See ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements for more information.
N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

i get it...we will be going over to a system that reflects voice calling.
only that it will be data...you are allowd such and any over will be charged accordingly...... :twisted:
i knew there was a catch..... Tongue Cheesy

stick me down for the trial too there boss...... Cool Cheesy lets see if 8mb can be had here.....pretty please......
N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

how do you find out if you have low db? I looked at the url which gives you line check it said i can get 2mb
N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

Yeah i can get 2mb. But i want to know my db. How is this done Huh?
N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

Your attentuation can be found either from your connection hardware (if it supports that feature) - or from a whoosh test performed by PlusNet in a link:contact us ticket. However, I think due to the volume of enquiries at the moment, PlusNet might not be performing these as willingly as they did in the past.

If you're looking for your SNR figure, this can only be tested at the remote end (IE from your house) - so if your connection hardware does not tell you this, then PlusNet cannot either.
N/A

Free Speed upgrade?

Sorry if this is straining a point but I just want to clarify Tongue

Will PlusNet effectively be doing whoosh tests on all their customers lines and depending on the attenuation figure, configure that users options for the portal?

For example, whoosh test is done on my line and comes out at 55dB (what its always at according to my router). It is then concluded that my line will support up to 1mb., with no configurable options available for faster speeds via the portal?

Is that right :?
Community Veteran

Free Speed upgrade?

No idea and I don't think PlusNet fully understand how it will work yet (or are not allowed to say yet) either. It may be a BT imposed limit, it may be an ISP imposed limit or it could be your router/modem just connects a the fastest it can or something else.

It will become clearer nearer the time.