cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Speed Upgrades

garywood84
Grafter

Free Speed Upgrades

I'm still waiting for my free speed upgrade, as promised by PN earlier in the year. I've checked progress with Plus several times, but they just refer me to the PDF file listing upgrade dates.

In that file, my exchange is listed as due for upgrade in month "Trial" - but Plus can't tell me what this means (or, rather, each operator tells me something different).

Does anyone know what's actually involved in the process of upgrading the accounts? I can't understand why paying the £14.99 queue jumping fee usually results in the connection speeding up by the next morning whilst those waiting for the mass upgrade takes so much longer. Do BT have to actually adjust each line at the exchange, or is it just a case of applying one upgrade?

Thanks in advance if anyone can advise.

Gary
7 REPLIES
garywood84
Grafter

Free Speed Upgrades

47 views an no replies .... surely somebody knows?!!
N/A

RE: Upgrading Process Ivan

Hello Gary,

OK, the problem with this whole upgrading process is that ALL of us! (Plusnet customers, Force9 & Free-Online customers) are entirely dependant upon BT for the time scale involved in moving these upgrades along. Unfortunately, what you have too try and appreciate here is that BT is like a huge lumbering dinosaure which means its Slooowwww !!! at the best of times.

BT are upgrading their own network links between BT exchnages so communications from one exchange to another will be faster because of fatter pipes. Ontop of this each BT exchange is being upgraded to 2MB's in most cases, but again this is being done exchange by exchange. Although BT have given a schedule for the work for each exchange in the PDF file, the information is NOT very useful as BT dont seem to keep to the dates given.

**I am seing quite a few of the free upgrades happening across all three ISP's (PN,F9 & FOL) its very much a case of waiting & being incredibly patient. Non of the ISP's have any control over the BT work which is pretty annoying I have to agree.

**I have to be honest and say the information given bye BT in the PDF is aweful as its written for BT staff not for ordinary users like us, so even PN staff wont know what the cryptic BT scrawl will mean. I can only guess that the word trial might mean they are going to install some new kit into your exchange and test it or trial it too see how it performs before rolling it out to users locally.

**Another issue that causes further confusion here with regard to upgrades is that apart from the BT bulk (mass) upgrade program which is being rolled out across the UK. If your not prepared to wait for your free upgrade and are prepared to pay a one off fee of £15 then you can have a paid upgrade which can be processed by PN & BT in a very short time. I moved up from 512K to 2MB on F9 and because my BT exchange here in Leeds was 2MB enabled I was able to be upgraded in 24hrs.

**Too summarise:-
1) The bulk BT upgrades are happening but slowly, 2) you can check to see if your BT exchange has been upgraded & if it has you can either sit tight & wait for your free upgrade or pay a one off fee & have the upgrade more quickly. 3) BT are upgrading exchange by exchange which is a big job & slow 4) BT are upgrading their links between each exchange ie. fitting fatter pipes.

**Finally once your BT exchange has its DSLM upgraded then your own line has to be 2MB enabled & your service unthrottled by PN.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB Use
garywood84
Grafter

Free Speed Upgrades

Ivan,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that in some exchanges, BT will have to do some work before the faster speeds can be made available.

However, what confuses me is that I could have had a 2 Mbps connection when I originally signed up to PlusNet in May 2003 - if I'd been prepared to pay a very high monthly subscription fee. That, and that fact that I could now jump the upgrade queue by paying £14.99 suggests that no/very little work is required in the exchange.

So, whilst I can see that some exchanges will need work doing to get the faster speeds, if they were rural exchanges that only just supported 512 kbps, I can't see why the majority of customers couldn't have been upgraded overnight.

What's more, wouldn't it have made sense for BT to have made lines run at their fastest possible supported speed from the outset, with speeds then being control by ISP throttling? That would have put the ISP in control of the speed.

The final point which is annoying me is that no-one can tell me for definite what "Trial" means as a month in which the exchange is due for update. Various PlusNet support staff have offered explantations, but no two have been the same. If, as you suggested, BT are trialling equipment in the exchange then that would make sense - but, they must have a date scheduled on which they're going to evaluate their success and decide how to proceed?

Gary
N/A

Free Speed Upgrades

Give BT Wholesale the money for a regrade and you will jump the queue.
The problem with this whole upgrade process is that line checks have to be done to see if the line can support the new speed, then a BT Engineer has to physically remove your line from the DSLAM at the exchange, reset the speed and then reconnect you to the DSLAM. Times that process by the amount of dsl customers at the exchange and this is why things are taking so long. By paying for the regrade BT Wholesale probably don't lose money because the regrade has been paid for ie paid regrade - money for the engineers wage packet comes from the customer via the ISP, free regrade - money comes out of BT Wholesales back pocket hitting profit margins in the money overtime they are probably having to pay the engineers. I guess the 4mb and 8mb speeds are to recoup that loss profit when they are launched as full products for ISP's to sell.
N/A

Free Speed Upgrades

I was under the impression that 'Trial' meant April.
N/A

Free Speed Upgrades

It sort of did - unfortuantly remember BT aren't renowned for giving accurate estimates or getting their fingers out Sad

Not to mention some trial DSLAMS can require multiple visits - if your's falls into that category then you may end up waiting until July.
N/A

Free Speed Upgrades

Always take anything BT wholesale says with a pinch of salt, regarding time frames for new product trials.