cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the techies: How do they do traffic shaping?

N/A

Just wondered how Plusnet (et al) actually achieve traffic shaping etc from a technical perspective.

Do they throttle specific ports that are commonly used (eg 6881 for Torrent) or do they use some form of "packet sniffing" to detect the type of data being transmitted. Or is it something else?

Cheers

Dan
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'm not a techie (there's bound to be one around somewhere) but I understand that the method is a bit of both.

Bill
N/A

Hi there,

Havent been around much over the last week so forgive the lateness of me entering the discussion.

For some light bedtime reading regarding the Ellacoya E30's and the Service Logic Software see This info.

Clever kit to say the least and from what I hear the PN networks guys can even get it to make toast. Smiley
N/A

ROFL, is that cause it to be toasted? :lol: :lol:
N/A

don't expect MN or PN to tell you how the shaping works as they can't implement it correctly anyway. If they can even find the status of it which I severely doubt.

they have had me on a shaped profile since the 9th April and still cannot tell me why they have done it ...... or in fact if they have
N/A

In fairness and with full recognition that mistakes can and do happen with profiling, albeit rarely, the PN networks bods can do stuff with the E30's that even amazed Ellacoya themselves.

Bearing in mind that this is still relatively new kit and technology, and putting aside the random glitches, what they have acheived since rolling out this kit is impressive.

I havent suffered from a wrong profile or any other issue tbh, so can say that with a degree of smugness Smiley but i am sure its a nightmare for those who have experienced problems.

With the process becoming more and more automated going forwards, the margin for error should decrease, but the nature of the game dictates that problems will still occur.
N/A

yeah that helps when you pay for a 2meg line and you download at 15.3kbs.

:?:
N/A

the PN networks bods can do stuff with the E30's that even amazed Ellacoya themselves.

I thought that MN was using the Juniper ERX platform or do they use both?

With the process becoming more and more automated going forwards,

Please already; less of the Ra Ra speak Tongue Tongue
N/A

The ERX's are the edge routers whilst the E30's perform the traffic management / shaping roles.

The E30's sit behind the Junipers..
N/A

Ah! OK, I am learning, eventually I might manage to piece together how all this works.

Purely because I am interested in that kind of thing I'd love to know how the system is put together from end to end but I realise that is a somewhat unrealistic wish unfortunately.

If you can help since you seem to know about these things, Wink one point that is possibly relevent to problems I am having currently though, do you know how my MN Virtual Circuit was assimilated into the PN network. I assume the VC didn't change and that I am still connected to an LNS in London and that the other side of the LNS is Ethernet or ATM and was shipped by private fibre to Sheffield. What then happened when we were all moved over to PN network on black Thursday? Did I end up being connected to a different LNS, certainly tracert shows a different first hop.

If I was did BT have to change my VC?

Andy
N/A

the PN networks bods can do stuff with the E30's that even amazed Ellacoya themselves.

What like - making it malfunction?

Perhaps this is the root of the shaping problems - making any product perform outside of it's design paramaters is always a recipie for disaster.
N/A

Mmmh. not quite. Its not that it is functioning outside of its design parameters, more like it can do things that Ellacoya didnt realise or perhaps expect.

What Plus Net have acheived is remarkable and will be of great benefit to numerous ISP's and Ellacoya themselves.

From a customer perspective, it will provide a balanced and sustainable network and experience. Yes there have been teething problems, but in the main, the Ellacoys system has been a success and as time goes on, the benefits for customers will be nearly as good as the benefits to the ISP Smiley

I think there is a perception that the Ellacoyas are "The Evil one", but that is genuinely not the case. They are a super bit of network management and qos kit. I just wish I could play with one. Tongue