cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuating Noise Margin / Halved attenuation

N/A

My line has not, as far as I can tell, been Max'ed or LLU'ed and I am still connected at 2272kbps but the last couple of days the stats reported by my DG834GT have given me some concern.

The Downstream attenuation was a constant 31db. It now reads a constant 15.5db which would mean a huge improvement which is unlikely.

The Noise margin was a constant 26db, it is now all over the place, peaking occasionally at 26 db but dropping to single digits. The connection has also dropped a few times so I guess it has got lower still.

As far as I know nothing has changed that could affect this. I raised a ticket but the line checker apparently did not complete giving inconclusive results.

My best guess would be the modem is dying as I have tried the master socket and different filters but I need to get hold of another one to verify this which will take a week.

Any other ideas in the meantime?
3 REPLIES
N/A

Attenuation has now gone back to its old level. The noise margin is still varying from single digits up to 26 but seems to be spending a lot more time around 10.

Still none the wiser.
N/A

In case anyone else is finding the same (I have seen at least 3 reports on other forums of the attenuation falling from a high number to exactly 15.5dB) I thought I would update my one man thread.

Support managed to perform a woosh test just after the attenuation reading had returned to 32dB and got the same reading as the modem. The following day, they were good enough to perform another test and received 15dB while the modem was reporting 15.5dB.

So the good news is that themodem is OK. The bad news is that this suggests that something is going on in BT land that we don't know about. Maybe this is what happens when the rest of the lines in the exchange have been converted to MaxDSL?

Maybe if you check your stats you might get a surprise?Huh
N/A

Hey rbncb, I actually support your theory completely. I found out the other day that higher speed broadbands start to increase "cross talk" which lowers line stats at random times when another line close by is doing a similar task.