cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing green light

N/A

Flashing green light

I ordered ADSL on 8th July and received my activation notification on the 16th. I ordered the 'best buy' DLink DSL-200 and Solwise splitter which arrived on the 17th. So far so good!!
I installed the driver and plugged in the modem as per the instructions. However, all I see is a flashing green light on the modem and the status panel shows 'No signal'. I discussed this with Plus.net support who talked me through a re-install of the driver. No difference. I have an open ticket (4949076) for this with a status of "Passed to BT".
How long is this likely to take? Are these symptoms typical of a fault with the line?
Thanks, Dave
15 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Flashing green light

if you're registered with BT you can track the fault repair on-line - doesn't speed things up - but at least you know that someone somewhere is doing something - possibly

espresso_mick
Grafter

How have you got your modem/cables/splitter/telephone connected?
N/A

> How have you got your modem/cables/splitter/telephone connected?

Yes. The splitter connects to the wall socket. One output to the phone (which works), the other connected to the modem. The modem plugged into a USB port of the PC. All connected and configured as instructed. There is simply 'No signal' reported by the modem control panel.
N/A

> if you're registered with BT you can track the fault repair on-line - doesn't speed things up - but at least you know that someone somewhere is doing something - possibly
>
>
Thanks for that. It does show that at least someone is checking the line and that they suspect the fault is at the 'home end' rather than the exchange.
N/A

> I ordered ADSL on 8th July and received my activation notification on the 16th. I ordered the 'best buy' DLink DSL-200 and Solwise splitter which arrived on the 17th. So far so good!!
> I installed the driver and plugged in the modem as per the instructions. However, all I see is a flashing green light on the modem and the status panel shows 'No signal'. I discussed this with Plus.net support who talked me through a re-install of the driver. No difference. I have an open ticket (4949076) for this with a status of "Passed to BT".
> How long is this likely to take? Are these symptoms typical of a fault with the line?
> Thanks, Dave

Possibly typical. I have the same modem and started to get intermittent disconnects. Then the outage times increased and it finally went completely awry with the phone line constantly engaged. Called BT's 151 at 6.30pm, engineer arrived 8.30 next morning, socket reterminated and fixed by 9am, never had a problem since. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, but I know the hatred of that flashing green light.

HTH,
Neil
espresso_mick
Grafter

This is my setup.

On the main telephone socket I have a 'doubler' fitted.

The telephone is attached to the splitter which is plugged into one of the sockets on the 'doubler'.

The modem cable has a small RJ-11 to BT631A adapter on it and this is on an extention cable and plugged into the other socket on the doubler.

The splitter is not attached anywhere on the cable from the modem to the main telephone socket.

Mick
N/A

> > I ordered ADSL on 8th July and received my activation notification on the 16th. I ordered the 'best buy' DLink DSL-200 and Solwise splitter which arrived on the 17th. So far so good!!
> > I installed the driver and plugged in the modem as per the instructions. However, all I see is a flashing green light on the modem and the status panel shows 'No signal'. I discussed this with Plus.net support who talked me through a re-install of the driver. No difference. I have an open ticket (4949076) for this with a status of "Passed to BT".
> > How long is this likely to take? Are these symptoms typical of a fault with the line?
> > Thanks, Dave
>
> Possibly typical. I have the same modem and started to get intermittent disconnects. Then the outage times increased and it finally went completely awry with the phone line constantly engaged. Called BT's 151 at 6.30pm, engineer arrived 8.30 next morning, socket reterminated and fixed by 9am, never had a problem since. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, but I know the hatred of that flashing green light.
>
> HTH,
> Neil
>
Hi Neil. I tried going through 151 last Friday. I went through a number of different options, but each time I ended up being transferred to BT Broadband, BT Openworld or told simply to contact Plus.net who would in turn contact BT. Can you remember the 'route' that you took through 151? Thanks, Dave
N/A

> This is my setup.
>
> On the main telephone socket I have a 'doubler' fitted.
>
> The telephone is attached to the splitter which is plugged into one of the sockets on the 'doubler'.
>
> The modem cable has a small RJ-11 to BT631A adapter on it and this is on an extention cable and plugged into the other socket on the doubler.
>
> The splitter is not attached anywhere on the cable from the modem to the main telephone socket.
>
> Mick
Hi Mick. Was this setup in response to a similar problem to this or was it simply your 'default' install? Thanks, Dave
N/A

> >
> Hi Neil. I tried going through 151 last Friday. I went through a number of different options, but each time I ended up being transferred to BT Broadband, BT Openworld or told simply to contact Plus.net who would in turn contact BT. Can you remember the 'route' that you took through 151? Thanks, Dave
>

Dave,

The route was fairly straightforward, as the line was constantly engaged, even with all equipment unplugged. I called 151, and they ran a diagnostic and booked the engineer visit there and then. I guess it showed there was a definite problem between the exchange and the master socket.

Your problem is less clear cut, as your phone is good. I also think it depends on where you are as to how fast BT responds. I'm in Cornwall and there is only one enabled exchange in the county that I'm aware of. One final question, where I'm sure the answer is 'yes', but are the settings on the modem correct?

Neil
N/A

> > >
> > Hi Neil. I tried going through 151 last Friday. I went through a number of different options, but each time I ended up being transferred to BT Broadband, BT Openworld or told simply to contact Plus.net who would in turn contact BT. Can you remember the 'route' that you took through 151? Thanks, Dave
> >
>
> Dave,
>
> The route was fairly straightforward, as the line was constantly engaged, even with all equipment unplugged. I called 151, and they ran a diagnostic and booked the engineer visit there and then. I guess it showed there was a definite problem between the exchange and the master socket.
>
> Your problem is less clear cut, as your phone is good. I also think it depends on where you are as to how fast BT responds. I'm in Cornwall and there is only one enabled exchange in the county that I'm aware of. One final question, where I'm sure the answer is 'yes', but are the settings on the modem correct?
>
> Neil

Neil,
The driver configuration settings should be correct (I re-installed over the phone with a Plus.net tech when the problem first occured). When you refer to the modem settings, do you mean some hardware switches on the physical device or just the VPI/VCI etc settings when configuring the device through the install screens?
Dave
N/A

> Neil,
> The driver configuration settings should be correct (I re-installed over the phone with a Plus.net tech when the problem first occured). When you refer to the modem settings, do you mean some hardware switches on the physical device or just the VPI/VCI etc settings when configuring the device through the install screens?
> Dave
>

Hi Dave,

I was referring to VPI/VCI etc. There aren't any physical switches on my DSL-200 that I'm aware of.

My settings are VPI 0, VCI 38, PPPoA NULL encapsulation and Multimode modulation.

Good luck,
Neil
espresso_mick
Grafter

Hi Dave,

I was just explaining my cable setup that got ADSL working.

It is actually slightly different to what my instruction manual said.(which didn't work)

> Hi Mick. Was this setup in response to a similar problem to this or was it simply your 'default' install? Thanks, Dave
>

N/A

Thanks Mick.

> Hi Dave,
>
> I was just explaining my cable setup that got ADSL working.
>
> It is actually slightly different to what my instruction manual said.(which didn't work)
>
>
>
> > Hi Mick. Was this setup in response to a similar problem to this or was it simply your 'default' install? Thanks, Dave
> >
>
>

N/A

> > Neil,
> > The driver configuration settings should be correct (I re-installed over the phone with a Plus.net tech when the problem first occured). When you refer to the modem settings, do you mean some hardware switches on the physical device or just the VPI/VCI etc settings when configuring the device through the install screens?
> > Dave
> >
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I was referring to VPI/VCI etc. There aren't any physical switches on my DSL-200 that I'm aware of.
>
> My settings are VPI 0, VCI 38, PPPoA NULL encapsulation and Multimode modulation.
>
> Good luck,
> Neil
Hi Neil,
That is interesting. I originally configured with these settings (didn't work) but was then told to use G.dmt by Plus.net support instead of Multimode. Both give the same effect ....flashing green light!?
Oh well, I guess I am at the mercy of a BT engineer.
Thanks for your suggestions on this.
Dave