cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flaky connection

N/A

Flaky connection

I connected to Broadband at the weekend but find that on start-up it doesn't always connect successfully. I have to reboot the PC once or twice before it successfully connects.
The ADSL light on my modem is steady but I only get "page uavailable" messages.
Where should I look first for an answer to the problem?
Also I thought there might have been an icon in the system tray to confirm you were connected, but there isn't!
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Flaky connection

I think before anyone can can offer much help you should tell us what your setup is i.e. Modem type and operating system.

Also check out the tutorials on these forums. In particular the ADSL faultfinding one and the Wiring and filters one.
N/A

Flaky connection

Yes, I overlooked those details didn't I? I'm on Windows XP Pro and using the Binatone ADSL 500 modem. I'll also check out the links you mentioned. I also find that inspite of all the filters phone reception, main or cordless is subject to interference. Thanks for your attention.
N/A

Flaky connection

If your getting interference on your line while using ADSL, then the filter may not be connected correctly, the filter could be faulty or you have a line fault.

As a point of reference if your using the standard free filters from PN, buy another one, a decent one. Secondly when testing try to use a corded phone, since cordless phones are subject to radio interference.

Does your connection drop when you pick up the phone?

If you've followed the wiring diagrams as previously listed, and your wiring is correct. See if you can try another filter. If that doesn't solve the problem then you may have a line fault, in which case you will need to raise a fault call with BT.

Have you got sky? is this connected though the filter? remember all phones, normal dialup modems, sky etc must go though filters.

Aaron
N/A

Flaky connection

I have checked out the wiring and adjusted it per the advice advice given to ensure there's only one filter per connection. Two of the filters are PlusNet ones the third is from the local PC shop and the guy who served me did say "Do you want this one, or that better quality (dearer) one? I said, "Do they both do the job?" He said, "Yes" so I bought the cheaper one! I'll borrow another to replace that one and see what happens because the noise is still there on both the main phone and the cordless DECT phone. The connection doesn't drop when I lift the phone. The cheaper one is on the DECT but I'll swap them aroung a bit to see what happens.

I checked just before replying by booting up and down several times. It seems that if I double click on the PlusNet icon soon after the ADSL light stops blinking it fails to connect but does so after a couple of further tries. I waited for longer the last time I tried and connected straight away (once). Maybe things are getting better?
N/A

Flaky connection

Dect Phones are known to cause problems with cheaper filters, not sure why but they do.

Is this a USB Modem? as it could be a power problem. certain motherboards are known to be unable to supply the juice needed to keep the modem connected and they drop the line.

Going back to filters.

Some filters can handle more than one phone, but again it depends on the quality of the filter. For example I have a ADSL Nation one, which has my dect phone and sky connected without any problems.

Do you have a phone with a cord?

Connect the phone direct to your master socket, do you get any noise, like crackles, hissing etc. If yes then you have a line fault. If not, then I suspect a filter issue.
If it's a filter issue, try connecting the filter to the master socket, with just your phone connected. Any noise? if so the filter is faulty.
If you get a filter which doesn't have any noise, then try connecting the modem and getting the modem to connect. Any noise?

Aaron
N/A

Flaky connection

I have a DECTphone and one corded phone so I disconnected everything and phoned a friend. All was OK. I replaced the PC filter..all OK, started the PC and it connected to ADSL and the noise returned. Replaced the other filters in turn and when I replaced the last one (for the DECT) the noise disappeared!

On the connection issue, 15 minutes ago I fired up the PC and when the ADSL light became steady began to try the PlusNet shortcut then eventually others, to no avail. No server or DNS error, page unavailable. I tried for three or four minutes without any luck.

Rebooted the PC then tried again about 15 seconds after the ADSL light became steady and connected first time. Maybe I'll just have to live with it? It has never ever actually dropped a connection once established (so far)

Anyway, thank you all very much for your attention (and patience) in dealing with my problem. It's good to know there's somewhere to turn to in time of need.
N/A

Flaky connection

What type of modem are you using? Usb?

If your having problems connecting, it could be the drivers for the modem, try downloading the latest drivers. It could also be a power issue, but then if your not losing the connection while in use, that would seem doubtful.

What error message do you get when can't connect?

Aaron